60gal Stocking (last fish?) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
60gal Stocking (last fish?)

So my boyfriend and I have been working on his 60g tank. We seeded it with gravel AND the filter cartridge from my 20. We planted heavily and have been stocking slowly. Ammonia and NitrItes have yet to go over .5 so the silent cycle has been working pretty well.

So far the tank has (don't worry these did NOT all go in at once)
3 dalmation mollies
12 Black Neons
4 Albino cories
4 Julii cories (Corydoras julii)

He wants to add 6 neons and 6 or so Otos for sure. And then he was thinking a few Emperor and a few Penguin tetras.

So the question is, will this stocking work? If so how many emperors and penguins could he add? Would he be better off picking one or the other? Or less neons if he definitely wants both? Or could he get away with all?

I don't know anything about Emperor or penguin tetras so I don't know what their optimal numbers and tankmates are, so all input would be welcome! Thanks!

btw - The tank has an Aquaclear 70 HOB (i'm pretty sure that's what it is) and a second HOB, I forget what kind but it's the same size or larger than the one I have on my 20. I know that a canister would probably be ideal for a tank this size, but we were on a budget and that's what the tank came with (got it off craigslist )
Substrate is ~1/3 eco-complete, 2/3 black aquarium gravel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 07:57 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you dose ferts, inject CO2, have high lighting, etc?? If you have optimized your tank for the plants, they will most likely do fine with any bioload you put in. If, however, you are doing a low-tech setup, you are already getting close to your bioload, especially if those mollies drop fry.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Not high tech, but the plans are growing pretty well already, certainly been allowing a relatively silent cycle too. In my experience, in a non-species tank, live-bearer fry aren't a big issue because they tend to become live food for the other fish. So I'm not worried about that becoming an issue. Any few that do make it will probably be brought to the LFS for credit anyhow.

Mostly I guess I'm wondering what kinds of numbers Emperors and Penguins need to be in and how big they get (i tried researching it but I got everything from 1.5" to 3" as a max size for penguins, emperors seem to be more consistantly listed as ~2") so we can determine whether we need to leave it as only 12 neons or pick EITHER penguins or Emperors

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Penguins can get a bit on the Aggro side, I'd go with Emperors. You may still have to keep an eye on the Neons, though- the Emperors may decide that black neons look too much alike and pick on them. I'd get 10-15, as long as you keep the Molly numbers down.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the input LauraLee! We got 6 Emperor tetras today, and 6 more Black neons, think we should still add more Emperor's in a few days or a week? Or did you mean get 10-15 Emperors and no more Neons?

Thanks in advance for the input!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 12:29 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I think more of both would be OK.

You're QTing all the new fish first before adding them to the 60gal though, right?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the input, glad to hear you don't think we'd be pushing the socking limit!

As for the QTing, I know it's probably not the wisest strategy, but because we were aiming for the silent cycle (instead of a fishless cycle) and the fish are all coming from the same store, we haven't been QTing them. Once the tank is well established and out of the "new tank that's cycling" stage if he adds any more fish we'll definitely QT.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Talking

You have 45 fish in your 30g & some shrimp.How are they doing?In a 60g,maby 90 fish an a few snails!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hahaha yeah, but the b. brigittae and ember tetras are TINY so they add very little bioload and don't take up a lot of swimming space. The tank looks empty half the time everyone is so small! hahahahaha But no, in the 60g there are far less fish. We did a count the other day i think it's 34 (18 black neons, 6 emperor tetras, 4 julii cories, 3 albino cories, 3 dalmation mollies (including a gorgeous sailfin male that is mostly black with white spots and an iridescent blue tint on the white parts of his tail). The only other fish we're planning to add are a few otos and/or amanos to clean algae. Not to worry, not 90!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode