Snail Vs Shrimp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (8/100%)
Snail Vs Shrimp

Who is more Sensitive to copper, a Snail such as MTS,Rams Horn and Pond Snail or Red Cherry Shrimp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Both are invertebrates and are sensitive. I don't know, but I have a feeling snails might be. But I'm no expert.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Both are invertebrates and are sensitive. I don't know, but I have a feeling snails might be. But I'm no expert.
Thanks for the input epic any one know for sure?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Hmm..I had an 'event' the other day with my CO2. My gobies' gills were scarlet red, and they were gasping at the bottom. I lost two zebra nerites, two olives, and a green lace shrimp. My guess, with copper..both are equally sensitive.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to confuted
If you're thinking about trying to add copper to a shrimp tank to kill snails ... I wouldn't suggest it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by confuted View Post
If you're thinking about trying to add copper to a shrimp tank to kill snails ... I wouldn't suggest it.
Oh God no NEVER. Im just thinking ahead, or actually in Hind Sight, my shrimp tank, was given to me free and i did clean it well with bleach when i got it, and rinsed it to death, Added Declor and rinsed it some more, but i got to thinking after i put my shrimp in that i do not know if the tank has ever had copper in it or not. And the reason i asked the question is that i have a TON of snails in the tank that are thriving and breeding. So kinda a IF everything dies again and it wasn't a Chloramine problem could it be copper leaching, but if they are equally sensitive the snails should have long been dead.But then again the Chloramine that i Think killed my first batch of shrimp should have also killed the snails. so im a bit confused.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
dont worry about it vance. The copper in a used tank IMO 99 times out of 100 even if it was treated in the past is not enough to make a real diffference

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsandwitch View Post
dont worry about it vance. The copper in a used tank IMO 99 times out of 100 even if it was treated in the past is not enough to make a real diffference
Still leaves the question, What killed the last batch of shrimp and why were the snails unaffected? I mean maybe im over thinking it but if it was Chloramines (i was using Wardlys at normal dose and a double dose is required for chloramines, im now using prime) Why didn't the Chloramines kill the snails.
It just doesn't make sense what could kill a whole tank of shrimp but leave all the Snails completely unaffected?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Did you cut any plants or add new ones? I had a tank wipe out after adding anubias nana petites and didn't know better about plants then. Now I soak them and rinse them for a day or so. It's possible in my case, the seller had used something to clean the plants before selling them. I think shrimp could possibly be a tad more sensitive. Depending on what kind of snails you have, ones with a foot might close up until whatever irritant is removed.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfaller1 View Post
Did you cut any plants or add new ones? I had a tank wipe out after adding anubias nana petites and didn't know better about plants then. Now I soak them and rinse them for a day or so. It's possible in my case, the seller had used something to clean the plants before selling them. I think shrimp could possibly be a tad more sensitive. Depending on what kind of snails you have, ones with a foot might close up until whatever irritant is removed.
Nope all that is in the tank is some moss, that is all that has ever been in that tank, no other plants because i want to see my shrimp lol. And it was the moss they were shipped with so if it was the moss wouldn't they had all been DOA?

Unless that Calcium Hydroxide is what killed them, but i still cant see simple calcium killing shrimp. It just dont make sense.It is the Same Calcium that is used by reef keepers all the time and SW is extremely sensitive.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have read of others killing shrimp with too much CA. They don't need it that way, just make sure their diet is good and they will get enough Ca that way. Do you even know for sure how much you were adding, or rather what effect it had on the parameters?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I have read of others killing shrimp with too much CA. They don't need it that way, just make sure their diet is good and they will get enough Ca that way. Do you even know for sure how much you were adding, or rather what effect it had on the parameters?
That's the thing it was a Very weak solution. and a very small amount added.

the Solution was 1 teaspoon Mrs Wedges Pickling Lime in 1 gallon of water(i used distilled water)

I added 5ml of this to a 10g tank, and 2ml to my 5g tank. within 3 days all the shrimp were dead.

The amount should have been trace at best, which is why i just dont get it.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Maybe someone that knows fw parameters best can tell you, perhaps adding Ca in this way affected the PH. Sudden or dramatic PH changes can kill.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to confuted
Snails are rather resilient; many people on this board have posted that they boiled or baked substrate, left it out in the sun for a year, and/or soaked it in bleach and the snails survived.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Maybe someone that knows fw parameters best can tell you, perhaps adding Ca in this way affected the PH. Sudden or dramatic PH changes can kill.
When the first shrimp died i tested the ph it was the same, unless it spiked and then dropped and that caused the deaths.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode