Is this going to turn into a disaster? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this going to turn into a disaster?

Up until yesterday I had three tanks going: A 14 gallon Betta sorority, a 5 gallon tank with a male Betta and some White Clouds and a 10 gallon with six guppies.

Yesterday my little brother was in my room and somehow managed to tip the 10 gallon over! Two of the sides are cracked and one is blown, by the time that I rushed upstairs to the scene of the crime two of the guppies were dead and the remaining four were gasping on the floor. He still won’t own up to what he was doing in my room that could lead to a rather heavy tank being toppled, although I suspect that he was leaning on the edge of it to see in the top.
I quickly netted the guppies and put them in my sorority tank and they seem to be doing fine this morning.

So the 14 gallon currently holds:

6 female Bettas.
4 Guppies (2 male, 2 female).
2 Otos.

Is this horrifically over stocked? Can the fish live this way for a while if I keep doing regular water changes? I can't afford a new tank at the moment (I'm a college student and don't have a part-time job) and won’t be able to until Xmas.

I have salvaged the filter from the 10 gallon and I have it running in the 14 (as well as the original) in the hopes that the extra filtration will help lessen the bio-load.

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." - Charles Darwin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 12:48 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wouldn't say that its "horrifically over stocked", but if the guppies fry dont get eaten in the tank it will get there.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedEuphoria View Post
I wouldn't say that its "horrifically over stocked", but if the guppies fry dont get eaten in the tank it will get there.
It's good to know that I'm not pushing the boundaries too far anyway.

My Betta girls are all used to eating guppy fry. The only reason that I had guppies in the first place was to breed live food for conditioning my Bettas for breeding. I don't think that the guppy population will be increasing any time soon.

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." - Charles Darwin

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to confuted
A new 10g tank is only $10 at walmart ... how expensive are they in Ireland?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by confuted View Post
A new 10g tank is only $10 at walmart ... how expensive are they in Ireland?
Well my 14 cost €99 ($142) and it was on sale. A new 10 gallon would probably cost 60-80 euro (86-115 dollars)

Things cost a lot of money here to put it mildly.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Well, at least your brother didn't get seriously injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookymuffin View Post
A new 10 gallon would probably cost 60-80 euro (86-115 dollars)
What?!? A bare standard 10g? 5 small panes of glass, two plastic rims, and a bit of silicone? Blimey!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
Well, at least your brother didn't get seriously injured.
Yeah, even though he's lucky I didn't skull him afterward.

Quote:
What?!? A bare standard 10g? 5 small panes of glass, two plastic rims, and a bit of silicone? Blimey!
Yep. Tax is incredibly high here; I try to buy most of my stuff online because even with the shipping it often costs less than it would to buy it at the local shop.

I suppose it evens out though. My country apparently has one of the highest disposable incomes in the world so it makes sense for the government to steal it from us

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
How much would glass and a tube of Slilcone I run? If you save the rims you could rebuild the tank with new glass.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

im moving to Ireland to make aquariums!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
How much would glass and a tube of Slilcone I run? If you save the rims you could rebuild the tank with new glass.
10 gallons? You don't even need the rim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddragon1977 View Post
im moving to Ireland to make aquariums!
You and I both!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Aquarium safe silicon is about €15 ($21) and glass panels of that size are probably around €15 a piece as well. That's €50-€60 that I just don't have at the moment (I have trouble scrounging up the few euro to buy lunch each day never mind fixing/buying fish tanks).

This is the only solution that I can think of that will tide me over to Xmas when I'll have a bit of cash that doesn't involve me getting rid of any of my fish.

Do you think that it's a workable set-up for a few months?

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Yes.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Yes.
Good stuff.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Definitely a workable setup, especially if you're running both filters. I don't think you'll have a problem with it getting over crowded with guppy fry, the Bettas should take care of that. The only thing I'd keep an eye out for is the lady bettas going after the male guppies because they think it's a male betta due to the long tail. Other than that, I think you should be all set!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
WOW out of curiosity i tried to ship a 10 gallon tank ot you via ups and it was 325 bucks just in shipping.

USPS though for a 10 pound box is only 52 dollars shipped ot ireland

- Join today!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode