Dechlorinator during cycling? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dechlorinator during cycling?

I keep finding conflicting sources as to whether or not dechlorinator (I use Prime) should be added while/before cycling a tank. What is the general consensus? TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Dechlorinate the water when you first add it. You won't need to do a WC or add any water until the cycle is done, pretty much.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 12:59 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Deff dechlor it, chlorine kills bacteria that your trying to grow.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Since I already have white clouds...

I'm certain it's now obvious that I set up my 10gal last night. It's currently unplanted - I wanted to wait until I found pure ammonia hydroxide to start the cycling process before I threw in what few plants I have. One problem: pure, surfactant-free ammonia is quite hard to find, it seems. What I do have are two white cloud minnows that are going to become 10gal inhabitants, anyway. I hear they're good for tank cycling, could I give it a go w/ my babies? Could someone offer me specific tips on cycling a tank w/ fish, as I would really like to keep my little guys around? Thanks for any help.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
You want to keep them? Don't cycle with them.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
if its a brand new cycle and you are not seeding the tank with anything with bacteria or anything alive from elsewhere but the tap (no plants either), then it doesnt matter. the chlorine would be gone within 24 hours in a stagnant container at room temp. it would do so even faster in a heated tank with a filter agitating the surface. thats why you can age water instead of treating it (its just unpractical since you would need big buckets). but, i usually add dechlore just to be safe, and i suggest you do the same since there may be other chemicals in there that dont dissipate on their own.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

dont cycle with fish. dump in fish food (half of what you would normally feed the fish once, and then again when the ammonia reaches 0).

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 01:25 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Chloramines won't evaporate out, though, and many municipal water plants do use chloramines to treat tap water for that very reason.

So I vote yes on the Prime. Always. And treat the water before adding it to the tank whenever possible.

Do you have any other tanks set up you can pull some mulm from? I haven't "formally" cycled a 10gal in years b/c they're so easy to cycle with just a handful of mulm...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
if its a brand new cycle and you are not seeding the tank with anything with bacteria or anything alive from elsewhere but the tap (no plants either), then it doesnt matter. the chlorine would be gone within 24 hours in a stagnant container at room temp. it would do so even faster in a heated tank with a filter agitating the surface. thats why you can age water instead of treating it (its just unpractical since you would need big buckets). but, i usually add dechlore just to be safe, and i suggest you do the same since there may be other chemicals in there that dont dissipate on their own.
This would play true, if chloramines were not so prevalent in our water systems. That is entirely the point of chloramines actually.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish
You want to keep them? Don't cycle with them.
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected]
dont cycle with fish. dump in fish food (half of what you would normally feed the fish once, and then again when the ammonia reaches 0).
I've never heard of this method. Sounds cheap, convenient, and worth a shot. Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp
Do you have any other tanks set up you can pull some mulm from? I haven't "formally" cycled a 10gal in years b/c they're so easy to cycle with just a handful of mulm...
Only my completely mulm-free planted 3gal. But, I do have the biowheel from the 3gal sitting in the 10gal filter, for now.

Thanks, all, for the wonderful tips.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 02:46 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
you can go to the grocery store and get a raw unseasoned shrimp to cycle the tank. Some like to put it in a mesh bag or new stocking so the crap doesnt float around the tank. It will melt away giving you ammonia to cycle.

Some also think that its a good idea to add a little pinch of fish food to the tank to aid in cycling, its debatable but fish food will break down to ammonia and other stuff like phosphates.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

thats why i said that there are other chemicals in there that do not evaporate. i however am lucky. livingston water has no chloramine in it (yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepresidentsdaughter View Post
I've never heard of this method. Sounds cheap, convenient, and worth a shot. Thx
really?
its the same pretty much as cycling with a fish. normally the fish gets fed, then poops part of the food out (the rest is absorbed for energy and nutrition and repair of cell parts), that then rots, and part of it becomes ammonia. the ammonia then starts the cycle. with just the food, you skip feeding the fish and the fish pooping. the food rots just as well (everything in the fish's poop was in the food), you also need less food since you only need to feed the bacteria, and not a fish.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 11:12 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Yup a Piece of Cocktail Shrimp does wonders to cycle, also a small chunk of raw store bought fish works well. Spare the lives of the fish you have, Fish Food also works well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode