New here, couple of questions. 26gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
New here, couple of questions. 26gal

Hello everyone,

I have a 26g bow front that has been running for about 6mo. It has 100% eco substrate and some of that overpriced African drift wood ($6.99/lb are you kidding!?!). It has a fair amount of plants in it so far but I want to turn it into a true planted tank.

My goal is to be able to grow a wide variety of plants without using CO2 (I'll save that for a bigger tank). I don't mind using Flourish Excel or something similar as a sub if it works. I have already looked into upgrading my lighting. Can this be done? is CO2 inevitable? Is flourish a direct replacement for CO2?

With this light http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...lestriplight24
in my 26g could i grow most low to mid light plants?

I'll get some pics up in the next day or 2. Im sure there will be about 100 more questions to follow.

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
You will need more light than that unless you just want "low" light plants, for the 26g tank it would not be uncommon to see 52 or more watts for about 2 (or more) watts per gallon. Look into the section "lighting" for some good info.

Flourish will replace Co2 but it is expensive that way, Maybe try a DIY Co2 set up, will cost you only a few bucks and it gets good results, lots of info on this site for that also. Pressurized Co2 is a bunch up front but long term is a very good investment.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Maybe 2 of those lights? With 4 t5 bulbs going am I going to stress my Cardinal tetras to death?

I was looking through some old posts and people keep commenting on how expensive flourish excel is. It looks like the dosing is 1ml per 10g i can get 500ml for about $8. If that is true it should run me about $.04 a day, am I missing something?

I would rather hold off on CO2 for a bigger tank and I don't want to mess with a DIY unit. Not if I can do the same thing with flourish for 4c a day or 10c or 50c for that matter.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
No, two fixtures will work out if you set the photoperiod correctly.

Get the bigger jugs of Excel from BigAls. It's not TOO expensive. You can also search for threads where people have diluted glutaraldehyde and used that in place of Excel.

Excel will serve your purpose well if you want a tank bordering on 2WPG or so and keep plants without CO2.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
No, two fixtures will work out if you set the photoperiod correctly.

Get the bigger jugs of Excel from BigAls. It's not TOO expensive. You can also search for threads where people have diluted glutaraldehyde and used that in place of Excel.

Excel will serve your purpose well if you want a tank bordering on 2WPG or so and keep plants without CO2.
Yes, that will work too.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks epicfish!

If all I need is 2.5ml of excel a day to do handle my CO2 requirement I'll get a 2L bottle when I order the lights and its a done deal.

I just want to be able to grow Low and Mid light plants for now. So if I can get in the 2wpg range ill be happy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode