12 galon planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
12 galon planted

Hi Everybody, i just started a 12 gallon planted tank. Its just a reg rectangle tank, same footprint as a 10, just a lil higher for the plants. I setup a few before but they crashed quickly for some reason, so this time im taking my time and hopefully this tank will be a success.

So far I have the tank set up with natural gravel mix, aquaclear 30 filter, and 36 watts of Ahsupply retro light with 6,500 Bulb.

Im dosing excel right now till I get my 5 lb tank filled on Monday.

My questions:

1- I didnt go with a planted substrate this time, as before I used eco complete and I hear after a few months all the ferts and nutrients in the gravel will be used up or leech out into the water anyway, so time I fig i try a natural color reg gravel. Will this yield good healthy plants? Will I have to add root tabs ferts every now and then?

2- As for a reactor, I have the hagen bubble ladder but im not sure how efficient this is to satuarate the water with CO2. I plan to keep the water level high so I get a small ripple across the top of the water so I dont outgas too much co2 from the Aquaclear. Do u think the petco mini filter would make a better reactor for this tank? Also, who makes a good drop checker, I want to use one of these so I can easily monitor the Co2 instead of testing PH drop? I see the rea sea drop checker in a lot of stores but not sure on the quality?

3- I would like to keep a puffer in this tank, but not sure which puffer would be best suited for a 12 gallon? I have some shrimp in my other tank I may throw in there too but will the puffer eat the shrimp?

Thanks in Advance.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
1. i used eco in an eclipse 6 for years. it was good the whole time and i had thriving crypts, hm, and other plants.
if that gravel is inert (which it may be) you need to give your plants nutrients with root tabs, or use a different gravel (flourite is cheap and works pretty good).

2. you can use a diffuser. there are a lot of different kinds, the ada one is expensive, but it has ada quality (so i hear, i never used it).

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thanks Marko for the quick reply.

If I use root tabs, should I still add Macro and Micro addittives to the water such as seachem flourish, iron, phosphorous, nitrogen, potassium etc?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagger View Post
If I use root tabs, should I still add Macro and Micro addittives to the water such as seachem flourish, iron, phosphorous, nitrogen, potassium etc?
Depends on if the root tabs contain micro/macro nutrients (which they should). Root tabs are for root feeders, such as Swords and Vallisneria. Liquid ferts/dry ferts are for water column feeders, such as stem plants like Ludwigia.

3. A Dwarf Puffer OR Amazon Puffer would be ok for a 12 gallon tank.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've been using Eco Complete for several months now in a 10g with great results, I bought a very nice drop checker from http://www.greenleafaquariums.com (spendy at about $40.00) really like it.

My 55 has regular gravel and I use root tabs, injected Co2 and Flourish to keep things looking good.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
yes you should. the root tabs are just for root feeders. your blyxa, ludwiga, and probably that plant in the back right (wisteria, right?) would do better with some nutrients in the water column.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode