when do you need more flow - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
when do you need more flow

I am adding a lot of plants this weekend. My 46 has been only lightly planted up to this point. With a bigger tank (gone from 29 to 45g) things are not the same. Each size tank comes with it's own needs and problems. I am not sure when I need more flow. Is there a way to tell? My fluval is rated 260gph but you know how inaccurate that can be when set up.
I have been told to add a nano powerhead but I'm not sure of the purpose. I have a bubble wall now and will remove it to fill the area with plants. I have diatoms now so the plants I am adding should help. Why do we need more flow in a planted tank? How much is too much? Do most plants adjust to more flow rate?

75g, pair of gold rams , ABN, 1 adult 2 young discus, 2oto's, 6ADF's, 3 anglefish. 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Additional flow can help kick up debris so your filter can get to them. If you're injecting CO2, which your signature says you aren't, flow can help disperse the CO2 more efficiently as well. The additional flow removes dead spots in the tank, providing better oxygenation within the entire tank and not just some areas.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
After years of being afraid to have too much flow in my tanks, I'm of the opinion now that it's almost impossible to have too much. The more circulation the better, the benefits are too numerous to list. I have 2 Eheim 2217s on a 46 gallon tank, and they keep the water churning pretty well, enough so that you can visibly see the current. Now that I think about it, I think that's a perfect measurement, if you can SEE current from corner to corner in your tank, that's enough flow. If you can SEE debris settling in your tank, that's a bad thing. Don't worry about your fish getting tired or anything, they'll find spots where they can rest.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 02:45 AM
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdement View Post
I have 2 Eheim 2217s on a 46 gallon tank,

What more could I add?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am going to have to look at the power output because I am finding several people use two filters on a 45g and up. Some even use powerhead with those.

75g, pair of gold rams , ABN, 1 adult 2 young discus, 2oto's, 6ADF's, 3 anglefish. 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dang, now I have to go buy another power head
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 01:48 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yeah I am somewhat new to this hobby and was not a believer. I just got my Koralia 1 yesterday to add to my 304 on my 55G, I love it!

I should have got the Koralia 2, like I saw a couple others using on 55G's with similar filters.

So to the OP, get at least the Koralia 1 pump, not the nano. I was debating this my self, decided to get the #1 and wish I had gotten the #2. Also I have since read that the nano is not a great in some peoples minds.

They reccomend sizes on the box, which for some reason you cant find on the internet?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 02:23 AM
DementedMindz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedEuphoria View Post
Yeah I am somewhat new to this hobby and was not a believer. I just got my Koralia 1 yesterday to add to my 304 on my 55G, I love it!

I should have got the Koralia 2, like I saw a couple others using on 55G's with similar filters.

So to the OP, get at least the Koralia 1 pump, not the nano. I was debating this my self, decided to get the #1 and wish I had gotten the #2. Also I have since read that the nano is not a great in some peoples minds.

They reccomend sizes on the box, which for some reason you cant find on the internet?

I do agree on a Koralia 2 as well if your only buying one. If you want to do what they say buy two Koralia 1's and put them at each side with your outputs facing different directions.

Here is a pic from ebay where it shows what worked great for me. I have a fx5 and two Koralia 1's now on my 55 gallon and couldnt be happier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	POWERHEAD-PLACEMENT.GIF
Views:	110
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	9741
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What are your thoughts on using two canister filters instead of a power head? It would be more flow. Is it overkill to then add a power head?

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalview View Post
What are your thoughts on using two canister filters instead of a power head? It would be more flow. Is it overkill to then add a power head?
Two canisters would possibly achieve what you want, depending on where you place the outflows/intakes.

I had around 25x turnover in my 40 gallon tank and I didn't think it was too much.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:28 AM
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
I had around 25x turnover in my 40 gallon tank .
1000 gph?

Care to elaborate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lescarpentier View Post
1000 gph?

Care to elaborate?
2x Eheim 2217, Koralia nano bottom left corner on the left wall, Koralia 1 top left on the left wall, Koralia nano top right on the right wall, Koralia 1 bottom right on the back wall.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I see hurricane Eric tanks. All plants blowing sideways

I think I will go slow. Add the extra filter first.

I have visions of My poor discus being suck to a wall Sorry can't help myself........

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
2x Eheim 2217, Koralia nano bottom left corner on the left wall, Koralia 1 top left on the left wall, Koralia nano top right on the right wall, Koralia 1 bottom right on the back wall.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode