One lucky fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
One lucky fish

So about 45 minutes ago, one of my cats came into my room and fell into my tank. I didn't know what she was trying to do up until she fell in, but my biggest concern was
to dry her off. So I dry her off and I don't give a second thought to it.
Then my friend comes over like 10 minutes ago and says, "Uhh, I think one of your fish are dead..." So I get up and sure enough one of my Rasboras is on the floor. It was pretty dried up too. So of course I curse a little and am really sad that I finally lost my first one ):

I plop it in the toilet ready to flush when I think I see a flick of the right fin. Sure enough I stick my head int he toilet and the fin flicks again. I immediately fish him out and put him in my QT. At first he floats upside down for like 5 minutes, trying to move each fin little by little. Within 10 minutes he's swimming fine again! Got all the moisture back and is swimming around the little tank like new again. I'm going to leave him in there for the night and see if he stays in good condition, but I'm sooo glad he didn't die.

I can't believe he survived being out of the water for like 30 minutes... He was one lucky fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
...toilet fish is alive!

Maybe those rumors of fish being flushed down the toilet and growing to 20 or 30 feet are true!!

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Haha, can you even imagine a 20ft Rasbora?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
I let someone borrow some wood I had to help jump start their tank. I pulled the wood out of my tank and somehow a loach got in the bag also. That little loach survived in a small puddle from the wet wood for about 4 hours before anyone noticed.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah925 View Post
I let someone borrow some wood I had to help jump start their tank. I pulled the wood out of my tank and somehow a loach got in the bag also. That little loach survived in a small puddle from the wet wood for about 4 hours before anyone noticed.
Geeze! That's really crazy! It surprises me how hardy fish are sometimes.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
My jumpers are always dry by the time I find them, like little beef jerky. I do have kind of a lucky fish story though...

I had a glass bloodfin swim up into some airline tubing while I was siphoning during an acclimation, about 6' of tubing to be exact. I thought he was stuck for good but he finally started budging after I raised the bowl over my head. My hands were full so he landed on the bare floor, I scooped him up and everything was ok. Never in my life did I think I'd see a tetra swim into airline tubing and make it out the other end. They were young but geez, he was really jam packed in there!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Holy cow. Haha, that's pretty odd to see him swim up the airline tubing.
I guess we just don't know whats really going on in their minds.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
I used to have some glowbright danios. They would try to swim "upstream" into the tubing when I was refilling the tank after a water change. Every now and then one would make it and swim as far as they could before succumbing to the water flow and shoot back into the tank. Those fish were always playing games with each other.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 04:17 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
when i moved a few years ago i set up a new tank with new flourite and put a filter from the old tank to cycle. after a week or so i moved the plants over then another week later i moved the fish. i had a month to move so there was no rush. anyway, i thought the only thing left was the sand/gravel substrate from the old tank with 1/4in of water, but apparently a cardinal tetra survived for almost 2 weeks with no food and no filtration.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to asimkhatri Send a message via Yahoo to asimkhatri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizu-chan View Post
So about 45 minutes ago, one of my cats came into my room and fell into my tank. I didn't know what she was trying to do up until she fell in, but my biggest concern was
to dry her off. So I dry her off and I don't give a second thought to it.
Then my friend comes over like 10 minutes ago and says, "Uhh, I think one of your fish are dead..." So I get up and sure enough one of my Rasboras is on the floor. It was pretty dried up too. So of course I curse a little and am really sad that I finally lost my first one ):

I plop it in the toilet ready to flush when I think I see a flick of the right fin. Sure enough I stick my head int he toilet and the fin flicks again. I immediately fish him out and put him in my QT. At first he floats upside down for like 5 minutes, trying to move each fin little by little. Within 10 minutes he's swimming fine again! Got all the moisture back and is swimming around the little tank like new again. I'm going to leave him in there for the night and see if he stays in good condition, but I'm sooo glad he didn't die.

I can't believe he survived being out of the water for like 30 minutes... He was one lucky fish.

i can't believe it..

Regards
Asim

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Tragic,........but absolutely hilarious.

I'm glad the cat and the rasbora survived

EHEIM 2213 #317
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 07:32 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
So mizu-chan dont keep us in suspense how is the lil guy/gal doing today??

And how is poor kitty after her/his swim? Kitty was prolly trying to catch a fishie treat. lol
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
my dog takes drinks out of my tank lol one day he'll probably suck up a fish
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well I've been keeping a close eye on him and when I woke up this morning he was perfectly fine! Swimming around looking for his buds.
You have no idea how happy I am that he made it. (:
Even his tail got all the moisture back after becoming crispy and dry.

The kitty is alright too. She has always been mischievous, but this was one of the worse times. She actually ate my beloved killi over the summer. But I have made a DYI top for now until I can buy a glass one.

So everyone is good now.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Darn killifish not living up to their name again.

Glad to hear the krispy kritter successfully rehydrated.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode