A little help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
A little help

Hi guys,
I am planning to start a planted aquarium and was hoping to get some help from you guys as to what equipment would be a necessity for the tank to be correctly setup.

My tank will be a 60 gallon, standard rectangular shape. below is the list of equipment that I think I would need but you recommendations would be helpful too. I am trying to avoid using C02 but if it is a must, please recommend a system.

Filter: Eheim 2227 or Fluval 405
Substrate: Eco Complete
Heater: have not decided on a brand yet
Gravel heater: Is this really necessary?
Lights: your recommendations would be helpful

any other equipment?

what plants would you recommend for starters?

any thing I am missing?

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

Personally, I'd probably go with an Eheim 2217 Classic or a Rena XP3 for filtration. Depending on how heavily you plant the tank and your hardscape arrangement, you may also need to add a powerhead to prevent dead spots.

Gravel heaters are not necessary. I'd encourage you to look at in-line heaters since you're going with a canister filter, it's nice not having to try and hide the heater in the main tank and instead having it in the plumbing of the filter. Hydor makes a good in-line heater, you'll probably want to go with the 200 watt.

Eco is a good substrate.

If you don't want to go with CO2, then I'd encourage you to stay around 100-120 watts if you go with a PC fixture, or 50-100 watts if you go with a quality T5HO fixture.

If you do want to go with CO2, then you'll need pressurized CO2 with a tank your size. www.GreenLeafAquariums.com and www.RexGrigg.com are 2 places to check out pressurized CO2 setups. With CO2, you will need to dose ferts and probably also increase your lighting to 2 to 4 watts per gallon (wpg). You'll need to be sure which way you want to go before making plant selections; different plants require different amounts of lighting and CO2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Laurel,

I will look into your recommendations. Rex website has some nice info. Any recommendations for a lighting fixture?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Welcome!!!

I like Laura's advice for filtration, but nothing wrong what so ever with the Fluval 405. I use one on a 72 gallon and its more than adequate.

Another CO2 vendor is www.sumoregulator.com

I almost always reccomend for new comers to start off low tech, but give yourself some room with your purchases to advance to high tech in the future if you so desire. Don't limit purchases based on the notion that you only need "100 WPG" (btw, I hate that rule, but Laura clearly gave you a good breakdown of wattage options based on fixture selection). Nothing wrong with buying a fixture that has alot of light, but only utilizing part of it (for instance, purchasing a dual ballast PCF fixture that has 260 watts of lighting, but only using 130 watts at a time). This would allow you the versatility later to upgrade if you want. Of course, this can be budget restrictive, but trust me, you are better off buying big now, then cutting corners from the start only to have to upgrade later. But this is ONLY MY OPINION. Take it for what its worth. This is an addictive hobby.

A full pressurized CO2 system will run you about 200 bucks if you shop well (that includes a tank). You can skimp a bit here and there, but I never reccomend it. Buy quality, you get quality.

Eco complete is an excellent starter substrate.

Gravel heater is not necessary.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Firstly, sorry for misspelling your name Laura.

GM,
I don't plan to cut any corners. I want to do it right the first time. thanks for your advice.
looking at all the lighting fixtures, (eg http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/prod...oducts_id=1423), they have switches and vents on the side or end caps. I have a hood on the tank and would like to keep the hood on. Do you recommend something for hooded aquarium?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhar View Post
Firstly, sorry for misspelling your name Laura.

GM,
I don't plan to cut any corners. I want to do it right the first time. thanks for your advice.
looking at all the lighting fixtures, (eg http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/prod...oducts_id=1423), they have switches and vents on the side or end caps. I have a hood on the tank and would like to keep the hood on. Do you recommend something for hooded aquarium?
What kind of light fixture is in the hood?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

There is none at the moment.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
One of the best retrofit kits available. The beauty is, you can just add more later if you decide to go high tech.

www.ahsupply.com

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 07:15 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
If you dont want a Retro Fit, Nova Extreme is a nice quality fixture by all means not 100% best out their but very nice, I recommend this site for as much of your shopping as you can because free shipping if you spend like 175, in this hobby that's not hard!

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquari...ng__index.html

they also have canister filters,and lots of other hardware including UV Sterilizers,Inline heaters,Power heads,Substrates,Foods,Supplements,etc etc etc
it really is a one stop shop for most all your aquarium needs! INCLUDING CO2! cant beat getting it all in one place and getting free shipping too! Now of course heavy bulky items do have an extra shipping fee but what site isn't that way!

Also if you buy a light fixture most will have "Salt Water" Bulbs that you will need to replace with bulbs in the 4000k to 10,000k Spectrum. On a 4 bulb System, i would get 1-4000k, 1-6500k, 1-8000k and 1-10,000 k bulb. The 10,000 k bulb will prolly come with it.Good luck!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode