225g Saltwater Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
225g Saltwater Planted Tank

I am starting a new project , the tank is a 225g 60x30x30. I will be using a pressurized filtration system in-line with a small sump for the protein skimmer, heater, and any other equipment than I may need.

I am looking for a pretty big mangrove tree ~ 36" tall, anybody know where I can get one in SoCal?

I am also looking for turtle grass or any other sea grass, if you guys have a source, please share.

Anybody w/ SWP experience please chime in and give me some advice from past experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 03:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Send a message via AIM to resowner92
i know a source for turtle grass let me see if i can find it

Neil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 03:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Send a message via AIM to resowner92
http://live-plants.com/turtlegrass.htm

Neil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

thanks, I will look into it
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 06:41 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Hilmida (sp?) is cool. As far as plants your going to be looking more toward Macro Algae.

http://store.fishsupplyunderwater.com/ckh00-05308.html

http://store.fishsupplyunderwater.co...ts-plants.html

http://www.coralranch.net/plants.html

http://www.carolinareefs.com/index.p...roducts_id=111

http://www.petsolutions.com/default....0P&SID=FROOGLE

Are you actually planning on Fish in this tank? If so what fish did you have in mind? i have tons of knowledge on SW and a good friend that owns a SW only fish store that i can call and bug if i dont know the answer!

Consider getting Aragonite Sand 1lb Per Gallon, And if you can Get a cup or two of Sand from Various Established tanks, to seed your sand and make it "Live Sand", Most LFS that have saltwater will give you a cup of Sand if you ask, Also Ask them if you can get a Chunk of Used Filter Media to help with your Cycle.

If you plan on Fish, i see a MAJOR problem, SW fish,inverts and corals are VERY VERY Sensitive to Nitrate,nitrite and Ammonia that a "planted SW tank" will need to thrive you want all three numbers at 0 in SW which is why most run a Fuge full of Macro Algae. If your not planing on any fish inverts or coral then no big deal.

If you are NOT going to have Fish i wouldn't run a Skimmer.Skimmers are used to remove waste that will kill fish but fertilize plants.

Also A refractometer is a GOOD piece of equipment to own, for testing salinity, the swing arm jobs are not accurate!

Welcome to the most expensive end of our hobby!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Yes looking to get a school of cardinal fish, some pipe fish, and some other stuff that will make good seahorse companions.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

I just ordered some turtle grass and some manatee grass to compliment
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 07:58 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivgonmad View Post
Yes looking to get a school of cardinal fish, some pipe fish, and some other stuff that will make good seahorse companions.

Ok well let me warn you before hand. Sea Horses are VERY VERY VERY VERY hard to keep, your tank needs to be very well established, IE 6 months to a year old, With a High Copod and other "little Critters" population. Sea Horses Will only eat live Food. Same with Pipefish(which are a type of sea horse sorta) Cardinals are fairly hardy as far as SW goes(not many "Hardy" SW fish.) You will need a PH of 8.4 or so and it has to be STABLE! Sand and Live Rock will be VERY VERY important with what you want to keep.

The rule of thumb is 1 lb of Aragonite Sand per Gallon of water, and 1 to 2 Lbs Live Rock Per Gallon of water. So your looking at about 225 lbs of Aragonite Sand (Don't Skimp here and use play sand PLEASE for the love of god buy Carbisea Aragonite sand!)And 250 Lbs of Live Rock.(Buy cured live rock if you can trust me the smell of curing live rock is HORRID!!!!!!)

With what you want to keep it will be very important that you do get a cup or two of sand from as many established reefs as you can(Do this AFTER your cycle is done) If you can get 1 cup from 30 or 40 different established Reef tanks DO IT!!!!!!! Each tank will have different micro fauna,copods,bristle worms etc.

Also i highly suggest using a high quality salt mix, Reef Crystals is a VERY good brand.

To Cycle a SW tank it is Similar to Freshwater, Use a Piece of fresh sea going fish, or a few cocktail shrimp with the tails removed. toss it in and forget it is there, let it rot away. For a 225g tank i would use 8 jumbo cocktail shrimp or about 1/2 to 1 lb fresh ocean fish.Type of fish doesn't matter as long as it is an ocean going fish. Cod,tuna(NOT CANNED) Halibut whatever is cheapest locally. Leave it Raw but do cut it into Small Chunks about 1 inch square seems to work well. And dont fish it out in 3 days like some will tell you to, in SW you want a strong cycle. Stronger cycle = Stronger Bio filter. Also Add the piece of used filter media to the tank the same time you add the shrimp or fish pieces, and leave it float Wringing it out ever day and then dropping it back into the tank. Leave it in the tank till the cycle is done.

If you have any Specific questions feel free to PM me or Email me at [email protected]
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks my friend but definitely not a SW noob here

this is my 240g Shark reef >

We are lucky here in San Diego, we get free Filtered Natural Saltwater (Same water the Birch Aquarium uses)
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance71975 View Post
The rule of thumb is 1 lb of Aragonite Sand per Gallon of water
I have no sand in my reef!

JK.... The water movement is too strong in that tank, it kick up all the sand so it has to be BB (bare bottom)
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
http://reefcleaners.org/ has a great selection of macroalgae.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

thanks, I might be getting some black mangrove seeds from them
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (36/100%)
red mangroves!! black has what Florida kids call "dead man fingers" reds have the cool prop roots

i love to watch grass grow.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
How are you planning on planting the mangroves?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Red mangroves it is! Thanks for clarifying

I plan on floating them on styrofoam until they are a decent size. I am still looking into getting a large one from the start but it looks like its not gonna happen (dont have a clue where I would get one)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode