Is there a test for tannins? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Is there a test for tannins?

Is there a way to test for tannins in my water? The reason I ask is my water is yellowish. My previous tank, using the same tap water, was not yellowish.

I have a piece of driftwood that I put through one cycle in the dishwasher (no soap) and then soaked for just a few hours...the bathtub's drain leaked all the water out.

I'm wondering if the culprit is the driftwood. It's been in my tank since January, when I first set the tank up.

When I do water changes, the dirty water is yellow.....so yes, I know the water is yellow and there's not just some outside reason for the water to LOOK yellow in the tank. The water IS yellow.

~Amanda~

54g Corner Bowfront Planted, 2x24w T5HO
220g Mixed Reef
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
A test for tannins? Look at the water.

Your substrate could leak colors, so could your driftwood. With just one cycle of the dishwater, I'm betting on the driftwood.

Depending on the type of wood, I have to soak for almost 3-4 weeks before all the tannins leech out.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

You would think that after being in the tank for 8 months, it would all be gone, no? I don't know what type of wood it is, but I bought it at a pretty nice LFS, mounted to slate, so I would think it's a type intended for aquariums! I just wish I knew for sure.

The substrate is Eco Complete, not rinsed because you're not supposed to.

All I know is, my water is yellowish. Same water that I used in my previous tank, and I never had yellow water before.

~Amanda~

220g Mixed Reef

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Yup, tannins. Depending on the piece, type of wood, age, if you scrub it, if you ahve plecos that munch it, and your filtration, plus water change frequency and amount, it could take a long time to get out of it.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:24 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Its likely to be tannins, carbon and water changes will get rid of it, the latter being more effective.

I would guess from your driftwood. And the time it takes for it to leech will depend on the wood, some woods you may not see any change, others might leech for very very long amounts of time.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:26 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
If you don't want the tannins, I'd add some Purigen to your filter. Does a superb job of removing them, plus can be regenerated really easily for long-term use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Oh, btw, filtration is an XP3 and I do a 15-20g water change once a month. I also clean the entire filter once a month, sometimes two months if my back is acting up (hurts to get it out of the stand).

~Amanda~

220g Mixed Reef
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I have a bag thing of carbon. I'll try that since I have it here, and if that doesn't clear things up, I'll go get some Purigen.

~Amanda~

220g Mixed Reef
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 05:12 AM
Algae Grower

The time it takes to leach out all tannins from the wood depends on the size of the wood. The bigger it is the more time it takes.

-Preeths
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

do some larger water changes

under stock
over filter
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Besides what has been mentioned, there is a Tannins test.

http://www.hach.com/hc/search.produc...isc,+100+tests

We use a spect based method similar to the above.

Lamotte also makes one and is much cheaper and likely good for folks in the hobby:

http://www.lamotte.com/pages/common/...truct/7306.pdf

cost:

http://www.thomassci.com/catalog/product/26151

Not really cheap unless you have a spect.

Carbon and water changes as mentioned by other posters to remove it.
If the wood is small enough, you can boil it good for an hour or so.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Wow........Bio Zorb = tannin test = SUCCESS!!! I cannot believe how crips and clear my water is today. Thanks, all!!

~Amanda~

220g Mixed Reef
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 07:26 PM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
My ADA wood is still leaking TONS of tannins (going on 3 or 4 months) and I didn't know it cause of all the purigen I had in my filter. I took it out the other day to recharge it, and forgot about it. in about 3 days my water was almost BROWN. So I did like 2 75% WC's daily, and still, the brown didn't go away even a little bit. I threw my 3 100ml purigen bags back in the filter last night after recharging them, I woke up this morning to water so crystal clear, it didn't even look like it was there. OVERNIGHT, the stuff is amazing.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Algae Grower

A friend had this problem in one of his tanks. We came up with a novel solution.

For the past few years we have been frying turkeys for thanksgiving. The setup involves a propane tank, a burner, a huge pot, and peanut oil. The bird is submerged, cooks in about 40 minutes if I recall correctly, and is really moist and tasty.

We took his driftwood, and put it in the turkey fryer with water instead of peanut oil, and boiled the hell out of it. It completely fixed all his tannin problems with the piece of driftwood he had. The pot for frying turkeys is so big you can put a large piece or several pieces in at once.

Maybe you know someone with a big boiler setup, they are also used for crawfish boils. Or maybe just a big pot on the stove. Just boil it, and boil it some more. It'll take care of it.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Sounds like a great idea, I'd just be worried about leftover oils in the fryer?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode