Need help with a DIY stand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Need help with a DIY stand

I got this stand a while back and what I would like to do to finish it is to cut it basically in half (height wise) and cover all of the sides with wood and then use a laminate on top to give it an amano stand look. My main problem is I have no wood working skills, so I was going to see if I could get any feedback as to the best way to go about this. I'd like to leave a door in the middle of the stand of course and I also like the idea of having outlets inside the stand which I have seen some people do.

Any help would be awesome.

Here is my stand:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Jace,

Why would you need to cut the height in half? What size tank you planning to use it for?

Check out a Lowe's or Home Depot ...if you have exact measurements, most will cut plywood to size for you [probably cut the hole in the front one for the door too]. I recommend you use 1/2" or thinner plywood. Buy a kitchen cabinet door that will fit over the hole, and hinges, screws and knob for it too. Avoid laminate, it is very difficult to work with if you don't have the skills. Use a sturdy paint instead. Get some liquid nails [quick-grab is good when working by yourself] to glue panels to back, front, and sides. Attach door, sand smooth and paint.

I'm obviously over-simplifying, but I can be more specific if need be. If the stand is wobbly, shore-it-up before attaching sides [cladding.] Don't forget the bottom shelf first.
Outlets are easy ...buy a cheap 6 outlet strip, and mount to the inside with 2 screws [unless you are confident with your electrical wiring...] and a pack of wooden shims to level it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Planted Member

No woodworking skills? Okay, that might be a problem but how are you going to learn anything if you don't give it a try?

That's some stand to start with, it looks plenty strong.

Cutting it down in height will work okay as long as you tie the base in solid with a good perimeter frame and keep the base frame work an inch or two off of the ground. that makes it easier to level the stand.

Also put a 2"x2" center "leg" in the front and back to help support the center of the top

Add 1/2 ply to the outside sides and back with construction glue and screws, add shelves and what not inside, make a frame of 1/2" ply about 4" wide for the front perimeter and add doors to fit the resulting hole.

Cover it with laminate, stand back with a cup of coffee to look at your handy work, then go to the store and buy an Amano stand

Good luck with your project!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by die2win View Post

Cover it with laminate, stand back with a cup of coffee to look at your handy work, then go to the store and buy an Amano stand

Good luck with your project!
haha, thanks.

But the reason why I want to cut it down is because the tank that's going on it is 28" tall already I believe and the stand sits without a tank at almost 40" so cleaning it/feeding the fish would be a pain if I left it full height.

Thanks for the feedback everyone and when I sit back with my cup of coffee and look at my handy work I'll try and think about all that money that I saved building it myself

(then the door will probably come off its hinges)

Once I get some money flowing in, I'll start this little project and start updating this thread with pics!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Planted Member

I love wood working and have a nice collection of tools and stuff. My first projects looked less than I'd hoped for but it inspired me to get better.

Furniture can be frustrating if you are picky and don't have the best of tools, just take it slow and be methodical, you will surprise yourself.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay, thanks again for the input. I just got paid this last week so I've started on reworking the stand.

I started tearing the stand down and now I have some questions. When I was removing some nails The end of one of the 2x4's split. Is this a problem, or can I just nail it together and that will be fine?

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about, and there are also other small splits which I don't know if they would be a problem or not. Can any carpenter pros or anybody who's worked with this kind of thing before help?

Here's the rest of my equipment as well:

Rena XP3
Current USA Orbit 48" 4x65w
Azoo Regulator
20lb Co2 tank
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 03:28 AM
Planted Member

Don't try to fix the splits with nails, it will weaken the wood more. Get some good exterior grade wood glue, like gorilla glue or Elmer's (yellow) and force it into the cracks, then clamp the crack shut over night. Good to go then.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode