Best Fish Magazine? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best Fish Magazine?

Hey everyone. Which of the available fish magazine is your favorite and why? Is there anything freshwater and/or plant specific?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 02:46 AM

Tropical fish hobbyist. They have awesome fw and sw Q&A and an Ask Jack Wattley section. Takashi Amano has an article on his planted tanks every month too.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Algae Grower

In Aus. we have a couple of pretty cool fish mags. Australian Aquarium Magazine and Aquarium Keeper Australia

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
2x vote for Tropical Fish Hobbyist:
http://www.tfhmagazine.com/

Besides the regular feature article by Takashi Amano; every month there is a column "The Planted Tank" by Rhonda Wilson. I also like how the magazine is printed on gloss, heavier weight paper and slightly over sized, this makes the photos really great to look at.

After TFHmagazine, my second fav is Practical Fishkeeping:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...pages/home.php

Although,because it is a British publication, here in the US it's a bit more $$ for a regular subscription. Once in a while I grab one when I visit the LFS (although w/ the spiraling gas prices has become less frequently.)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
TFH and The Aquatic Gardener by AGA. http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/member.html

EHEIM PIMP #164
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Planted Member

I also like Tropical fish hobbyist. Great pictures, interesting articles and a column every month about planted tanks. Pretty good all around publication.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hay View Post
2x vote for Tropical Fish Hobbyist:
http://www.tfhmagazine.com/

Besides the regular feature article by Takashi Amano; every month there is a column "The Planted Tank" by Rhonda Wilson. I also like how the magazine is printed on gloss, heavier weight paper and slightly over sized, this makes the photos really great to look at.

After TFHmagazine, my second fav is Practical Fishkeeping:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...pages/home.php

Although,because it is a British publication, here in the US it's a bit more $$ for a regular subscription. Once in a while I grab one when I visit the LFS (although w/ the spiraling gas prices has become less frequently.)
+1 for TFH (plus I'm kinda fond of TFH's forum, too )

Rod- how much is Practical Fishkeeper subscription in the US? I actually skimmed over the PF site recently but couldn't find that...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Algae Grower

Another vote for TFH!
I've picked up several (about 15 different ones from Australia, UK, USA) once when I was in Singapore and there was one UK that had good information but the articles were a little condescending in tone to anything "foreign". Many of them were spouting dated information or the same old thing regurgitated.

TFH seems to have the best balance for both newcomers and advanced hobbyists, as well as variety.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Honestly, I'm not impressed with any of them.

The articles rarely have much info in them. They are almost always poorly written.

Amano's articles don't give you the details we all really want. I stopped spending my money on them a while ago as there is nothing in them you can't find for free online.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giolz View Post
Tropical fish hobbyist. They have awesome fw and sw Q&A and an Ask Jack Wattley section. Takashi Amano has an article on his planted tanks every month too.
I agree with everything said above... TFH is my Fav.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/magazine/
it's free

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
I'm partial to FAMA, Freshwater and Marine Aquarium magazine.

Quote:
The articles rarely have much info in them. They are almost always poorly written.
Oh you must be high! Each of the three American magazines, and PFK in the UK have very well respected professional writers that are leading researchers and pioneers in fish keeping. Mike Helweg is a great writer, Jack Wattley, Iggy Tavares, Ad Konings, (world renown expert on cichlids), Ron Coleman, one of the most important cichlid researchers of our time, Mike Wickam, David Lass, Lee Finley is an icon... thats just on the freshwater side.

In the upcoming November issue of FAMA, there is a feature about the Yellow labridens cichlids from Mexico by Juan Miguel Artigas Azas, that is just fascinating.

I get all three American magazines, FAMA, Aquarium Fish International, and TFH. I never miss an issue of any of them.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
I'm a TFH fan but Practial Fishkeeping out of the UK looks like a great mag.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Rod- how much is Practical Fishkeeper subscription in the US? I actually skimmed over the PF site recently but couldn't find that...
If you follow enough links thru the subscription page you will find one for international subs. USA is currently around $105.00 for one year (that's $8.75 per issue.)

Amazon is listing it at $125.00 per year!

The least expensive I found was thru a magazine discount whse @ $89.00 per year. Still a little too much for my budget. (Aquariums are not my only hobby; gotta save a little for the other STUFF.)
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 05:26 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hay View Post
If you follow enough links thru the subscription page you will find one for international subs. USA is currently around $105.00 for one year (that's $8.75 per issue.)

Amazon is listing it at $125.00 per year!

The least expensive I found was thru a magazine discount whse @ $89.00 per year. Still a little too much for my budget. (Aquariums are not my only hobby; gotta save a little for the other STUFF.)
Holy cow that's steep! What was the discount magazine, if you remember?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode