Different method for adding air to degas CO2/keep O2 ppm's high at night - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Different method for adding air to degas CO2/keep O2 ppm's high at night

As I really like fish and keeping plenty in planted tanks, and with high plant density, low surface areas is some tanks, I looked at adding soem night time aeration systems.

Most typical planted tanks generally do not require this, eg, all the sump filter tanks have not needed it(adding it will not hurt however).

Where they are effective:
Non stable tanks
Higher fish loads, large species
Higher feeding routines
Large amounts of mulm formation
Lower surface movements
Small surface area to volume ratio(tall cube tanks).

There's some notion that might suggest the micro bubbles stick to algae and help detach some and detritus from leaves.

I hate air stones and hate them in tanks.
I'd toyed with the idea of adding a solenoid to add O2 or other venturi suction methods that toggle between CO2 and air/)O2 based on the light time.

This cost too much per tank realistically.
But would give more control over O2 levels if you wanted them higher than ambient 100%.

Then add this and finally a small air pump(you do not need a large one- even for a large tank, the air gets blasted as a froth).

This in line version of an aeration system is cheap and effective.

Plug it into a timer.
Set about 30 minutes before and after the lights come on/go out.

so air pump=> air line=> check valve => AM reducing Tee, spliced into Return line.

Virtually no head/flow loss.

Note, for smaller low flow canister filter systems, the AM reducer works fine as a CO2 pseudo venturi.

You can modify it some also by building up some glue, epoxy etc, inside the pipe to create the general internal shape of a mazzei, without going all the way and losing a lot of pressure(trade off is that you do not get much draw, but we do not need much here using CO2).

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to garuf
A neat and useful Ideal, where do you find these adaptors in the UK I can't see any on any sites.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Hmm, for some reason I never thought of injecting straight inline. I suppose I could drill another hole in the Rex reactor and run an air pump into it with check valve, eh?

This might solve some issues with my big angelfish in his 36x18x24H, the right amount of CO2 makes him chug on the surface a bit, even at night I see him doing it unless I really tear up the surface with the outflow, or an unsightly and loud airstone.

What would happen if one were to run both an air pump and CO2 into an inline reactor, or an airpump on this inline T while CO2 is running? Would optimal CO2 levels still be possible along with improved O2 saturation?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 12:40 AM

PTrader: (2/75%)
Would this be an efficient way of injecting co2 into a small tank (26 gallon bowfront) using a Eheim 2215? I am looking for a mazzei type injection for a small tank. I could also splice in and add the airpump, which i use already, but i do not like airstones running in the tank!

Stevie D
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Just did it. Was hoping I was first.

Hey all. Bringing this post back from the dead.

I was having serious issues with film on the surface of my tank. it got THICK. nasty nasty stuff.

I tried all the power head methods, no good. Went for the bubbler technique and BINGO! But, I didnt want to put in a bubbler, because that would mean something over the tank edge (oh the humanity).Any other known permanent solution....same problem.

So I completely came up with and formed out this idea, all by myself. decided to do a search on it, and found this thread. Darn Tom Barr beat me to it!

Just wanted to say, it works like a charm. Just another bit of automation that I can sit back and enjoy. 10 minutes before the lights go out, the airpump timer clicks on, and my filter outlet starts spraying out bubbles great small bubbles. 1hr before the co2 kicks in, the airpump clicks off and my filter outlet goes quiet.

I was very surprised this post died so quick, and no one else has suggested an inline airpump.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

----------The Tank---------------------------The Car--------------------------The Life-----------
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
i had been thinking about the benefits of injecting o2 after dark aswell...

tom barr just is to quick...

Stop Arresting Responsible Adults!

SunSun Pimp #39
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Injecting air has quite a few benefits....no point in contemplating that idea further. Lots of threads on that.

This is just an inline method of doing it. And its I dont think there are many if any people doing it this way.

BOOOOO to the sunken treasure chest that burps bubbles! Boo to stones!

----------The Tank---------------------------The Car--------------------------The Life-----------
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
Can you post some pics of your set up Zavikan? I too have the biofilm and the powerhead thing doesnt cut it for me. I would also like the added benefit of adding O2.
Thanks,
Nate

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll try to get some pics up monday or tuesday.

Basicly put a reducing tee in your canister return line and shove an airpump line into it (check valved). Toss the pump on a night timer. done.

The hard part is getting a reducing tee. aquamedic has a $50 min purchase. Other places try to sell it with crazy high s&h...

Found an off brand industrial place online selling it for less then a dollar! but had to be a member...

I got my aquamedic one on amazon. $12 to my door (I grumbled a little bit, but even over priced, its cheap).

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
Pics would be helpful. I get the basic idea. My water flow is as follows
Tank>XP3> Inline Heater>Grigg Style reactor> tank

Where in the return would you suggest the air? Into the reactor or after the reactor?
Thanks for the help!
-Nate

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I hate air stones and hate them in tanks.
I know this is an old thread but: Why? They snake invisibly behind canister filter inlet plumbing... really simple and no-brainer.

If the tank is drilled, doesn't have plumbing over the rim, etc. I get this approach, but for the vast majority of tanks, why the unnecessary complexity and the hate?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
I know this is an old thread but: Why? They snake invisibly behind canister filter inlet plumbing... really simple and no-brainer.

If the tank is drilled, doesn't have plumbing over the rim, etc. I get this approach, but for the vast majority of tanks, why the unnecessary complexity and the hate?
I'm just a hater

Depends on the tank, some can easily be hidden, others' not so much. In line air is better dispersed and the aeration seems to roast surface scum, degas faster, the micro bubbles are sticky and break up particulate organic matter, sort of makes the filtration work better all the way around.

The mist from an air stone often forms lime deposits and wet marks, filtration outflows generally much less so, you just have better mixing and less noise.
Air stones clog, small CO2 reactors act like a mini wet/dry and there's little effort required to add another in let if there's a CO2 reactor already in place.
I rarely use aeration, I tend to add a ton of current and leave it 24/7 and live with a little loss of CO2 and simply add a tad more.

But.........some folks asked me for a solution a couple of times way back when.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
There are no pics in the first thread, so just clarify this for me.

You are just plumbing an airline directly into the flow path and just letting it rip?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Has anyone ever tried adding a "Y" to their co2 inlet, connecting the air-line, ck-valved of course, and letting their co2 system diffuse the air? I suppose it would be a ton more air than co2 and that might cause problems.

Just wondering. I carry a high fish load and would like to eliminate an airstone.

AB

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
There are no pics in the first thread, so just clarify this for me.

You are just plumbing an airline directly into the flow path and just letting it rip?
I think this was the idea of putting a reducer tee fitting in the return line from the filter, or CO2 reactor pump, with an air pump connected to the very small side port on the tee, with a check valve to prevent reverse flow. The tee acts like a venturi, to shred the air bubbles into a fine mist.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode