Holes in leaves - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Holes in leaves

I've started to notice that some of my plants (especially my recently purchased sunset hygro) are starting to develop some holes in their leaves. Its really mostly the hygro, but 2 of my swords have it(but not nearly as bad) The holes are little round holes, making me think its some sort of deficiency.

I know there are ferts to combat this, but i have a low tech. About 1.5 wpg, no CO2. I dose kent freshwater fertilizer and use flourish root tabs.

What do you guys think i should do here? I know that there are specific elements that i can dose, but wont these cause an imbalance in a non-co2 injected tank? Any help would be appreciated, as I really dont think I'm up for going high tech at this point. thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 04:18 PM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
I would bet my life that it's a Potassium, K, deficiency. Really the only sign of K deficiency is the classic "holes in leaves", and really the only deficiency that would create holes in the leaves is a K deficiency. So it's 100% a K deficiency. Throw some (just a little) K2SO4 in there and your plants will be happy again very soon. I don't know how much you should use, but I'm sure someone will chime in, telling you exactly how much K to throw in there.

Also, it's happening to your Hygro, because Hygro's are nutrient hogs, they need a whole lot of nutrients. they will be the first plant to show any deficiencies. Your Hygro simply isn't getting enough K, or Potassium.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
but will dosing potassium cause an imbalance(algae) due to my lack of Co2?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have the exact same tank, 2 AC HOBs, wpg, etc. as you (48x18x24) except I am using 2x65 CF lights and have just recently noticed pinholes in some hygro and lobelia that I had recently added from my overgrown co2 tank. The leaves on the lobelia are turning yellow around the edges. I also added some echinodorus bolivianus chain swords a few weeks ago for the foreground and they are losing a few leaf tips and have some browning around the edges. My Bacopa, Mermaid Weed, Crypts and Cabomba Furcata have been in the tank for about 1 year and have no holes and are still growing well.

I recently starting dosing K along with Ca and Mg to see if that helps. Since the problem seems to be in the old leaves in my tank it may take awhile to see if it helps. I have enough fish so I know I'm getting NO3 and P from poop and fish food so I am also assuming it is a K problem. I am using Seachems Equilibrium weekly now which adds the K, Ca, Mg and some Fe. The extra Ca and Mg is probably also needed in my tank since I don't do frequent water changes and have a lot of cherry shrimp in the tank.

I will be following this thread closely since I am having a similar problem.

Good Luck,

Mike
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 10:27 PM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
a bit of potassium will not cause an imbalance. excess K in general really has to negative affects to an extent. N and P are a whole 'nother can of worms.

Tags
fertilizer, ferts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode