Ferts During Fishless Cycle? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Ferts During Fishless Cycle?

Hey everyone. I'm starting up my first planted tank, a Low Light 26 gallon bow front, in a couple days and want to make sure I have everything in order. I will be at 1.7 wpg (no CO2) and will use eco-complete substrate. I will be adding about 12-15 medium/small plants.

From what I've seen on the web, the fishless cycle is the way to go and all the plants should be added right when the cycle begins (correct me if I'm wrong with this type of cycling for planted tanks). During the cycle I will be adding ammonia by the "add and wait" method and checking various water parameters. Once the tank is able to drop from 5ppm ammonia to 0ppm ammonia and nitrate within about 12 hours I am ready to add fish.

My questions are:
Is this the right way to cycle my planted tank?
Should I be adding ferts to the water while the tank is cycling or is the added ammonia + eco-complete enough to get the job done in a low light aquarium like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 04:22 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I suspect that your plants won't need ferts, especially a low-light setup.

Some plants may "burn" if you bump the ammonia quite that high, though- so I'd make sure to stick with super-hardy plants at first, like hornwort, hygro difformis, anacharis, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 05:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
3ppm is sufficient to cycle a tank this size for a reasonable bioload.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 05:36 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think if you do the fishless cycle you want to leave the lights off and add plants later after it cycles. If you put the plants in and have the light on with high ammonia+ferts you may very well have pea soup/algae issues. Look at this thread its a fishless cycle with plants
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ling-what.html

If you doing a silent cycle then you plant heavy at the beginning w/ ferts then add fish very slowly once the plants are established.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode