dbw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
White Fuzz

Hello dbw...

It's likely just a fungus that grows in the breaks in the wood where food collects. I've seen this before on pieces. I got some Ramshorn snails and put a few of them in the tank. They removed it in a few weeks.

There's no reason for concern. The fungus is harmless.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
+ one for fungus or fungi.
Have had this appear on Mopani wood a few times ,not so much on Malaysian wood.
Snails and shrimps get right after it.(or at least they did for me)
Can always boil the wood some more to help rid it.
First time I seen it,,it was like a big white cloud that engulfed the wood and I did not know what to think so I removed the piece and boiled it for about an hour as I recall.
Never seen it that bad again on any other pieces I bought, so I just let the snails and shrimps clean it.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ditto the above.
I am not sure if it is feeding on dust that has accumulated on the wood, or on the few dead wood cells that are soft enough for the fungus to get into, but whatever they are feeding on it does not seem to harm the tank.
I simply remove it if it gets too massive, without being fanatical about it. It will come back while the tank is cycling, but many aquatic creatures will eat it, especially Loricariads.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 03:51 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
If you're wondering why it happens in the first place, it's probably just the result of decomposing organic material.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I can't remember where, but I read/heard someplace that it's a fungus that's eventually displaced/outcompeted by bacteria.

Would explain why it's so common, and eventually 'goes away' on it's own.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's a fungus that is consuming nutrients that haven't leached out of the wood yet. One of the pieces in my tank has it right now. It's a new piece that I will not be using in the tank permanently, I am just letting it cure in the tank.

The Fraternity of Dirt #144
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi:

Okay, well thanks everyone.

I intend to get a pleco in a week who hopefully should enjoy it then. Yay.

I am not worried about it; I was just receiving conflicting reports online through googling about what it exactly was.

Almost all of my wood has it (it is a new month old tank with all new wood collected from the local parks and stuff - dont worry - super cleaned beyond words). I can just wait for it all to disappear.

Thanks.

dbw
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fungal spores on the wood are introduced WITH the wood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABSí Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ahhh I see.

Well this wood was boiled, dishwashed on high heat rinse cycle, bleached, and then dried. So if the fungal spores can make it through all that, then God intended for them to be there.

Thanks.

dbw
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbw27 View Post
Ahhh I see.

Well this wood was boiled, dishwashed on high heat rinse cycle, bleached, and then dried. So if the fungal spores can make it through all that, then God intended for them to be there.

Thanks.

dbw
Yeah, none of those treatments will kill all fungal spores. Plus you've probably added a lot of chemicals in the process to be honest.

| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABSí Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs

| Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Who knows.. probably. Especially with the bleaching eh?

I boiled the stuff forever, bleached for two days, etc. The way I see it, the fungal spores are a "Welcome to the Tank" gift for the new pleco. :-)

dbw
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 12:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

I boiled my driftwood multiple times trying to bleed out tannins and I still ended up with fungus. Even without a pleco knock it loose at WC and eventually it will stop growing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode