Needing Some Help and Opinions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Needing Some Help and Opinions

Hi! I'll do the full introduction later but briefly: I'm from Honolulu and is getting back into fish keeping after 3 years.
I used to be obsessed with Bettas and the last one I had pasted way 3 years ago. Now since I'm getting back into this hobby I decided to start up again with Betta's. Earlier, I didn't make an absolute deal out of it and had more of a "basic" setup with just a light and the tank (plants and substrate inside of course) but that was about it.

The tank is a 5 gallon Aquarium Masters brand and I'm planning on a hardscape/natural tank. My friend will actually be doing the aquascape to my tank but I need some help with my details. (I'll try post what I kind of have in mind).

So the questions:
1) I plan to have the backdrop to be black and was wondering what your guy's opinion towards the type of substrate. I was going to go with sand and see if I could go with black sand. However, I'm not sure how a black background + white sound or a black background + black sand will look.
Would I also need to put any substrate underneath?

2) I'd also be getting a filter. They say Betta's dont need it but we don't need AC but it feels pretty good! What are your favorite filters for a Betta?

3) What type of rocks would look good with driftwoods and plants? Grey rocks came into ming but I feel like it would clash too much. I also don't want the rounder ones since they look more unnatural.

4) Is there a cheaper method of lighting? This isn't really a big concern but I honestly don't want to be spending 30+ dollars on a lighting system. I saw a picture earlier with a fish tank and a fluorescent desk light. It gave me an idea because I have something similar and it's recommended that fishes should have fluorescent lighting.

5) Could a coffee table or miniature table be used as a stand? Since my tank is only 16x8x10 the stands for the 20g probably wouldnt be very ideal. I'm also estimating that the entire tank will be around 50 pounds when filled and decorated so it won't be extremely heavy.

Thank's again for just reading this, hopefully I can get a lot of opinions because I can't make decisions by myself and needs reassurance LOL.
I'm also half asleep so sorry if some things are unclear.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode