Mini M has DIY Co2 diffusor problems! Need some advice. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Mini M has DIY Co2 diffusor problems! Need some advice.

Hi all,

As many of you know I started thread with my Mini M a while back.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...nk-update.html

Well believe it or not I finally planted it exactly 7 days ago. 1st couple days looked ok. But ever since I set up my DIY Co2 it's been a PITA to me.

Anyways right now my tank is in the hospital with a mild Flu case!

I have what I think is String algea everywhere. Wood, glass, Moss. The Moss is doing the worse right now. It is Java Moss and it is pretty much brown and not growing at all! After reading some more I found that Mosses don't favor High lighted unless in the correct conditions.

Well basically this take to what I feel is not a very balanced tank and thats why I am having problems.

Anyways onto the CO2 difficulty.

I bought 6 nano diffusors a long time ago in a deal on ebay with Aquamagic.

I have one of the diffusors on my 2.5g and it seems to work ok!

This tank has the java moss tree and grows great!

Now after making all different type of fixes to my DIY CO2 like, fixing all the leaks in the bottle cap and making the hose fit in.

I have been noticing how water leaks in through the diffuson piece about 1 minute after installing it. I know as a fact it's from the diffusor piece as I tested it on all them and you can see water slowly come through it and go down into the glass U part.

So my question is this oppose to happen? Or is this a result of a junky diffusor? All 6 of them do this. I have no idea what I can do to fix this as I don't know if I need to buy a better one or maybe I don't have enough pressure comeing through. Also is there any correct way to setting DIY CO2.

Here what I do:

1. Fill bottle 1/2 with sugar.
2. 1.5 teaspoons of yeast.
3. Add water.
4. mixup the sugar and yeast inside bottle so it isn't like a layer of yeast sitting ontop of the sugar.
5. Connect hoses.
6. Now connect to the diffusor itself.

Am I doing something wrong?

Hopefully I can resolve this by tommorrow as for the last 2 days it has been a rocky road.

Also for lighting. I ussually turn the lights on at 6:30Am then I come up stairs and turn them off at around 10:00Pm

Are thiese lighting hours good?

I have been doing this with my 2.5g and it has been doing wonderfully the last couple months! No algea or problems. I really believe that this tank is very stable as it has matured.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 06:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think you're suppose to do it this way.
One cup of sugar in the bottle without the yeast.
Luke warm water in the bottle and shake it till the sugar dissolve in the water.
Add one tsp of yeast on top and shake the bottle 3 times.
Connect hoses and other stuff and it should work.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 07:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
The diffusers will do this. As long as fine bubbles are coming out of the disc, you're good to go.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 10:39 AM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thief View Post
Also for lighting. I ussually turn the lights on at 6:30Am then I come up stairs and turn them off at around 10:00Pm

Are thiese lighting hours good?

I have been doing this with my 2.5g and it has been doing wonderfully the last couple months! No algea or problems. I really believe that this tank is very stable as it has matured.

Thanks in advance.
15 1/2 hours of light isn't a good thing. Plants need rest too. Try 8 hours -- 2 p.m. - 10 p.m.. Invest $5 in a light timer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No Pimp Club.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
It's perfectly normal for a diffuser to do that. As a matter of fact, some people use that as a bubble counter.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok thanks for the help but it doesn't solve what's going on.

For some reason No bubbles move around the U part. I am assuming that they are getting stuck by the water? So how do I resolve this or maybe what's the problem thats making it not work?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

By don't move around I mean that the bubbles stay on the one side and don't go through the U part and into the diffusion. Maybe it is pressure problem?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thief View Post
Ok thanks for the help but it doesn't solve what's going on.

For some reason No bubbles move around the U part. I am assuming that they are getting stuck by the water? So how do I resolve this or maybe what's the problem thats making it not work?
Sometimes DIY CO2 won't have enough pressure to force bubbles through a ceramic disc.

You can try a different diffuser, a different brand, or a different diffusion method.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
Sounds like not enough CO2 pressure.......

50 gal Planted (Always under construction).......
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
Sounds like the bowl part of the diffuser is completely full of water? It's gonna take a little more pressure to force the water back out than it will w/ air. Take an empty diffuser (or let the full one sit on its side, disconnected for a few hours first so it starts emptying) and connect it to your CO2 and let it build up pressure for 10 mins or so BEFORE you put it inside the tank. My nano diffusers are usually only about 1/2 full of water.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 07:38 PM
HC 'Cuba' Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
if you really have 15 1/2 hours of lights, thats ENTIRELY your problem. I can't run my lights for any longer than 6 hours! 2 days at 15 hours and my tank would be a big cube of algae. With the light and tank size that you have, you shouldn't have the light on for ANY longer than 9 hours. Even that's a stretch. I'd say 8 hours is a good bet, 7 hours being a safe bet. Even 12 hours would be a ridiculous amount for your set-up. 16 hours is STAGGERING. So much so that I'm still thinking there must be a typo there. Also I can't believe that Roybot is the ONLY one to have mentioned this!! (Good work Roybot! ) 16 hours is OUTRAGEOUS!!!

For any that don't know his set-up, or are too lazy to check it out, it's a Mini M with the 27w ADA light over it. Amano runs a 9 hour lighting schedule with his Mini M's

Last edited by CmLaracy; 09-05-2008 at 10:15 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hahaha CmL,

Actually these lighting hours have been working good with my 2.5g iwagami tank for the past 3 months. But you are right it maybe not be healthy. So I guess I have to take my plants into rehab and get them on 9 hours light schedule! Also I find it amazing how some people have so many problems with algae and I NEVER had any break out of algae in the tank yet!!!
Lol I feel proud! It may seem past the laws of aquatic life physics itself, but I did it! No algae!

Also Brohawk, What you said sounds like what going on with mine. Because the whole bottom if full of water! Also I think this is a great possible solution! I feel so dumb for ot thinking to wait for the pressure to build up.

Also I found that just shaking the water out of the diffusor works great and takes about 30 seconds of shaking.

I will show some pics of the tank today if possible and of what the diffusor looks like.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also ugly Genius thats a great idea. Use it like a bubble counter. Absolute Genius!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode