Plant growth slowed/stopped & dead shrimp. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Plant growth slowed/stopped & dead shrimp.

I didn't know which sub-forum would be best considering the range of problems I'm seeing. Oh boy.

After a strong start I've noticed that the original plants I put in the tank have significantly slowed or stopped growing. There was excellent growth for about 3 weeks, then everything stopped and now a little BBA & staghorn algae has started to creep in. This has been going on for about a week now.

Around that same time I started to see my cherry shrimp die off, a couple every day. They were brought in the same time as the plants. Could be coincidence. Fish are doing fine.

Tank: 40 breeder
Light: Finnex Planted +, 2 bulb T-5NO, both running 7 hr/day
Substrate: Eco-complete capped with pool filter sand, driftwood decor
Plants: wisteria, crypt, java fern, anubias, dwarf sag, staurogyne repens, ludwigia repens, flame moss
Dosing: Excel daily, Flourish weekly, potassium chloride dosed to 10 ppm weekly, Po4 whenever it tests <1
Routine: ~3 gallons tap water top off weekly, no water changes yet as I was shooting for a low maintenance setup

Tests:
PH = 8.2
KH = 16
GH = 20 (360 ppm)
Po4 = 1 ppm
No3 = 20-40 ppm (tough to tell with API kit)

I knew our water was hard, but I didn't know it was that bad. Wow. The tap tests at around 30 ppm No3, so I guess that's why I've never had to dose it.

My plan over the next few weeks is water changes with RO that I can get in town, and top off with RO during the week. I can understand the shrimp deaths now, given my horrible water conditions, but is there anything that explains the stunted plant growth?

Thanks for reading through this mess. I can take criticism, so give it to me straight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 10:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Stable water parameters are very important when keeping Red Cherry Shrimp. They have a wide range of acceptable parameters such as a pH range of 6.0-7.6 and an acceptable temperature range of 65-80F. It is far more important that the pH, temperature, and water hardness stay stable than to pinpoint a specific number. As long as they parameters are stable with in the acceptable range Cherry Red Shrimp will flourish in the aquarium.

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 11:51 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Hard to say what is wrong with the plants without seeing some close up photos. Do you think you can post a few pictures of the affected plants?

Zapins

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Here you go.

I mean, the plants themselves still look decent. It's just that growth has stopped, shrimp died, and now the staghorn(?) has gotten a foothold. The water seems a bit cloudy too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode