Stocking for a frequently moved aquarium?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stocking for a frequently moved aquarium??

I have a 10 gallon tank half full of plants that needs to be able to travel 4 or 5 times a year (I'm in college).

What are some fish that can easily survive a 3 hour trip back home and then another trip back a week or 2 later.

I know that a betta would be a popular choice, but I'm not particularly fond of flashy fish. I was thinking of some small schooling fish or maybe even some African dwarf frogs (or both) if they are hardy enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
As a recent college graduate, I completely sympathize with your situation, but this just seems like a sort of bad idea to me.

Have you considered putting together a seasonal pond tank? If there is a freshwater body of water near your campus, you could bring your aquarium to school and set it up exclusively (and I really mean exclusively - you don't want to mix domesticated species with wild ones) with wild caught plants and animals after thoroughly consulting a field guide to make sure they are not endangered. When you have to move back home, avoid the stress of moving living things across the country by simply dumping your tank back into the swamp from which it came.

I used to do this when I was little, and it was a total blast. If you collect soil, water, and plants from a wild pond (just don't be greedy or too destructive!), it is incredibly enchanting to see what sort of creatures develop in your tank. Various larvae, fish fry, tad poles, and all sorts of creatures spontaneously start popping up in your tank.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I don't think I want to be known as the crazy girl going fishing in the school lake so I think I'll stick with store-bought pets fun idea, though! maybe another time.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 09:58 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Fish would be fine left alone for a week or two.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
imo betta and shrimp just expect to buy more shrimp after each brake.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The problem with leaving the fish alone is that the electricity will be off during breaks, and they can't survive a couple weeks in winter without heat or filtration! For other breaks, though, I could definitely leave them behind.

Right now, I'm thinking 3 African dwarf frogs and a betta fish. Although, I really wish there were some smaller schooling fish that wouldn't be too fast for frogs and can handle travel.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 02:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Hardy schooling fish:
Rosy reds
Danios (zebra, leopard, etc.)
White clouds

Hardy non-schooling fish:
Guppies
Platies
Paradisefish (watch out: these guys are evil)
Endlers
Australe killifish
Gardneri killifish

Tip: When taking fish on a long trip, put some zeolite or purigen in the container with them to keep ammonia from building up. Don't put any live plants in with the fish because plants breathe in oxygen when it's dark. Shrimp will need something to hold on to during the ride; a piece of string or a filter sponge will work.

Frogs may not be as hardy as you think. I'm not sure if they would handle moving very well. If you really like frogs, why not skip the aquarium and make a terrarium with dart frogs? It's a different hobby, but I think it travels better.

Proud member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's a great list. And you've given me an entire new hobby to think about(as if I need another addiction!)... Thanks!

Bump: I might need a bigger tank for some of those fish, though, so the sole betta is looking more likely right now
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 05:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
The rosy reds and paradisefish might get too big (I'm not sure how big they get overall, but they're extremely hardy - paradisefish were the original bowl fish before goldfish became popular), but the others should do fine in a 10g. Especially the white clouds and livebearers. You could easily keep 6-7 white clouds and 2-3 male platies in a 10g.

Don't worry about the inch per gallon rule. Instead, test your water every three or four months just before a water change. If ammonia and nitrite are at zero and nitrate is below 20ppm, you're good to go.

If you really want the betta, that's fine. But you said above that you don't like flashy fish, and I don't want you to have to get a fish you don't like. Do you feel the same way about shrimp? You could skip the fish entirely and get a dozen ghost shrimp, amanos, or wild cherries. They would probably handle moving well. Cherry shrimp in particular are known for surviving almost anything.

Or you could get a female betta. They don't have long fins like the males.

Proud member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 10:02 PM
Planted Member

Have you looked at dwarf puffers? They enjoy a planted tank and enjoy snails as main feed. I plan to set up a puffer tank next semester.

55 gallon community

Lyfeoffishing's 55 gallon community

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode