Co2 fustration - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Co2 fustration

Can someone pls help. Ok at first before I got the drop checker I was putting in 2bps for about 2 weeks.Then finally my drop checker arrived from china and I notice after couple hours it was still blue so I did a ph check it read 8.0, so I cranked up the co2 to about 8bps and checked again after few hours and notice there was no change in the ph. I notice first my crappy made chinese diffuser was not misting much and it was much bigger bubbles cause by cranking up the co2 but still had some mist. Could this be the probelm or my Tom rapids pro is just stripping my co2 out of the water? When I get home tonight im going to try turning the filter off and see what happens. Also my milwaukee regulator has 2 meter one for the tank pressure and I think the outher for the outflow pressure but my out flow is at 5, but it doesn't seem to affect the circulation cause I can see the bubbles on the solenoid increasing and decreasing ad I adjust the solenoid. Oh yeah one more Milwaukee regulator with ph controller is junk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (126/100%)
Im no expert but it sounds like poor diffusion. Going from 2 to 8 bps should have made a difference even if your filter was off-gassing some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hopefully my new diffuser will arive soon

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
How big is your tank? At eight bubbles per second, all but some really big aquariums would be gassed out fairly quickly.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
whats your tap ph? I would test both with a test kit and if its the same i would expect that you are injecting air not co2.. even with poor diffusion you would have some measurable drop.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Planted Tanker

What jumped out to me is going from 2 to 8 bps resulted in bigger bubbles coming out the diffuser. Anything big enough to rise to the surface and pop is wasted. Not saying that's definitely what it is, but that struck me as a possible red flag for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My tap water ph is 7.5

Bump: I'll try a picture of the diffuser when i get home

Bump: Its one of those swirly diffusser and it seems to have a hole in tge bottom of tge swirl where it leaks bubbles when i increase the pressure

Bump: D.Roger yes that has come to my mind but why would they put air in my co2 tank

Bump: Maybe I should empty my co2 and get it refilled sonewhere else
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok i just tried turning the filter off and im running atleast 8bps still no change on dro checker nor ph. At this point im leaning towards the gas in my tank is not co2 and it doesn't seem like my fishes are gasping for oxygen. Also anyone know how to check if its oxygen or co2 in the pressure tank?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
I don't know, I could believe if you have a hole in the diffuser and the gas is just escaping the top, you won't have much of a drop in pH. It would be helpful to know how big your tank is, I would assume if you're using a large CO2 tank it's a fairly large tank.

As far as checking for CO2 vs air, take a candle in a deep container (either a small candle in tall glass or a half-burned larger candle). Take the tubing off the diffuser and GENTLY start flowing gas into the container with the candle in it. If it's air, the candle should continue burning, if it's CO2, the candle should slowly die out. And I would trust wherever you filled the tank they wouldn't give you pure oxygen, but if they did, then the candle should flare up noticeably... Just be sure the gas flow is fairly low, you want to snuff it with the gas, not blow it out.

Either way, it sounds like you want to get your diffuser replaced.

Old tanks, all torn down:
-
-
-
-

Hope to get a new tank (or two) up soon...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Chem
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You could have a CO2 leak between the bubble counter and the diffuser. I have had that before. It takes a very small leak to waste virtually all of the CO2.

Hoppy
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

If i did have the leak wouldn't that cause no mist on the diffussion. Also the co2 that coming from the mist is all going to the surface and not spreading in the water.

Bump: Its a 60 gallon and i notice alage growth so i turned the lights off and am now doseing excel

Bump: I check the co2 tank and its real cold to the point i see frost on the tip of the nozzle, debating to exchange it or not

Bump: I read somewhere if you spray windex you can see the leak i'll try that when i get hone tonight

Bump: Anyone have those Diy co2 reactor for sale? Im not real good at DIY and the ones online seems real weak
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Maybe take some dish soap and squirt some around all connections to see if there is a leak=bubbles around the place where leak is.
The CO2 is a gas and will rise to the surface.
Is why folks who use it try to position spraybar's or return from the filter in such a way as to push the gas down and around the tank before it escapes.
Some place the diffuser under the intake to the filter so the gas is drawn into the filter and chopped up before it is shot back into the tank through the return.
others use powerheads to push the gas around the tank rather than letting it simply rise to the surface and escape.
They also use lot's of flow from the filter(s) for same reason.
Me thinks a canister filter and spray bar would work better for you, or place a power head in such a way as to push the gas across the tank as it leaves the diffuser so it doesn't just rise to the surface = poor distribution of the gas.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll try that Road master
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 05:03 PM
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny101 View Post
Bump: Anyone have those Diy co2 reactor for sale? Im not real good at DIY and the ones online seems real weak
Ive never used one of these, but according to a couple of members in another thread recently, it is very efficient. Supposedly silent, zero bubbles escaping at a rate of 5 bps. It's rated to handle up to 9 bps apparently.

http://www.amazon.com/Sera-Flore-Active-CO2-Reactor/dp/B007A0PI0U

Like I said, Ive never used it one, but Im thinking about trying one for myself on my 75. Between building and buying one it seems pretty attractive for 40 bucks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode