32 Gal. Mr. Aqua project - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
PK1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
32 Gal. Mr. Aqua project

I've been working on my 32 gallon Mr. Aqua project for sometime now, it has been slow moving given other obligations, but moving along nonetheless.

In the absence of a standard stand that I could find commercially, I had the stand was built by a local cabinet maker. I also decided to go with a wet/dry filter and I've already drilled and installed a 700 GPH Glass-Holes overflow. The next step is deciding whether or not I'd want to drill the tank for the return or go over the top.

I like the drilled option for aesthetic purposes but I am a little paranoid about weakening the glass. I'd normally put the hole high close the edge of glass such that little water would siphon back in the event of a pump/power failure, but I know this weakens the glass. Glass-Holes recommends a minimum of 2" from the edge, which is not a huge deal, all it means is I'd have to bring the line-loc a little higher and close to the surface of the water and drill a small hole to break the siphon. That said, I'm still a little concerned about weakening the glass by putting two holes in the back panel.

The tank dimensions are 24"x18"x18" and the glass is 8mm low iron. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	373185  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 02:04 PM
Planted Member

could u drill the bottem and use a filler style like in a corner?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
PK1
Algae Grower

Tricken,

What's a filler style? Do you mean going up close to the surface with a tube from the bottom?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Why not drill the tank 2" from the top and use an elbow to get the spout where you want it?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
PK1
Algae Grower

Yes, once I decide to drill it there are many options. I am really trying to figure out whether or not drills two holes on one panel - one fairly close to the edge - weakens the panel.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
PK1
Algae Grower

Finally drilled it... I was going to put the discharge on the right side of the tank but figured I would get better circulation if I placed it in the middle; I'll put in "Y" loc-line fitting to get good circulation on both sides of the tank.

I decided to paint the back pane black to make the weir and return bulkhead more inconspicuous. It looks good but it took 4-5 coats to cover it properly.

I've decided to put the tank in my basement which is in the process of being finished, so it'll be another 6 weeks or so before I can do much with it. I want to do The dry start method on this tank so I wish I would get it started while I wait but can't move it down the stairs once started and don't want to leave it in a construction area, so I'll be waiting.

I'll be working on finishing the plumbing while I wait. I also need to decide how to inject CO2 in the sump. I already have a Mag3 which I want to use as a main pump but don't want to restrict its flow too much so I was going to experiment with a dedicated CO2 pump and needlewheel injecting CO2 mist in the sump but not sure how effective that will be. My sump is also fairly small so I'd like the second pump to be small, but I haven't been able to find a small pump with a needlewheel so I may have to go DIY on that. I am also windering if I'll end up needing a reactor for better diffusion... Anyone simply injecting CO2 mist in their sump with good results?

Bump: Not sure why pics didn't show up, here they are. Although I've rotated them they keep showing up upside down, sorry about that, I'll have to fix them later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	return.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	374769  

Name:	return2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	374777  

Last edited by PK1; 09-28-2014 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Pictures wrong orientation

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode