Bag Of Purigen ... throw away? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Bag Of Purigen ... throw away?

hey guys ..
so i gave the purigen stuff a try and was indeed impressed. (i made the investment more than anything for the clearing up / polishing the water as i had a piece of driftwood in there that was coloring up the water quite a bit.)
i recently pulled the purigen out and cleaned it. did the whole soaking it in bleach and rinsing thats recommended BUT what i have NOT done is the soaking for 8 hours in "Prime" ...
because i honestly dont own the stuff. is it really important OR can i just re-use it anyway? or should i just chuck it?

side note:
this was a couple of days ago. at this point the bag has been sitting in a little bucket with no water and am 100% sure that it has dried out by now.

just wondering if i should bother with it or simply get another if i want to continue using it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Pretty sure you need the dechlorinator to remove the bleach
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
How do you do water changes without a dechlorinator ???

The Fraternity of Dirt #164
I'm so crazy I use Sunlight!!
RAOK CLUB #149

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

hi guys ...
the dechlorinator i use is stress coat ...
are you saying that i can use that in place of / instead of the "prime" thats mentioned?
also, does it matter at the moment that i let it dry out?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luky View Post
hi guys ...
are you saying that i can use that in place of / instead of the "prime" thats mentioned?
Yes you can. Stress coat simply isn't as effective for ammonia, but will remove chlorine molecules.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABSí Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luky View Post
hi guys ...
No you can't. Purigen can't dry out completely. That's why it's packaged with some moisture. If it dries out the granules will break up and turn to an even finer particulate.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

From Seachem

Typically its not of issue if it dries out. The beads do shrink and can fall through a fine mesh bag. Re-wet the resin and it will expand and will hold well again in the bag. As long as the dry resin has not been exposed to potentially hazardous compounds while being dry it should be okay to use again in the aquarium. If there is doubt don't use it. As far as cracked or broken beads, this does occur on a minimal level but most of these would rinse away upon re-weting. So, really not a catastrophy when it dries but it is best to store moist and away from anything you would not want to put in your tank.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
just go to the store and but prime.... its like $5 for a 100ml bottle. i wouldn't put it back in till it has gone threw prime.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

really appreciate the feedback guys.
im almost due for a new bottle of stress coat so maybe ill give the prime a try. its just that i like the fact that its got in the aloe in there for the slime coat. but no harm in giving it a shot.
thanks guys

Last edited by luky; 09-22-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spellimnjg
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Better yet just loose the Purigen it is not a necessary part of your filter.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve002 View Post
Better yet just loose the Purigen it is not a necessary part of your filter.
it's not necessary, but I'm pretty sure most would agree that Purigen is an awesome addition to any filter

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Great for removing tannins
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think I heard somewhere that your not supposed to use certain stress coat products with purigen because it can plug the pores or something
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 11:58 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okedokey View Post
From Seachem

Typically its not of issue if it dries out. The beads do shrink and can fall through a fine mesh bag. Re-wet the resin and it will expand and will hold well again in the bag. As long as the dry resin has not been exposed to potentially hazardous compounds while being dry it should be okay to use again in the aquarium. If there is doubt don't use it. As far as cracked or broken beads, this does occur on a minimal level but most of these would rinse away upon re-weting. So, really not a catastrophy when it dries but it is best to store moist and away from anything you would not want to put in your tank.
I can't believe this! I have thrown away 3 bags of Purigen and given up on the product because I thought the bags were leaking. Apparently it just dried out.

You'd think they'd include a warning about this in the packaging.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I also have heard not to use the dechlor with slime coat enhancing materials. I use Prime, or Chloramine Buster. All I buy it for is chloramines. My fish are healthy and produce all the slime coat they need. No need to gunk up stuff (fish gills, or Purigen, or anything else) with added 'goo'.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode