Water disasters! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Wink Water disasters!

Python water changers are wonderful things. But I'm beginning to wonder if I need to receive lessons on how to use them.

1. I've filled the tank with water and am now in the bathroom wanting to syphon the water back out of the hose. There's lots of pressure built up because I've had the knob on the hose end turned off while the water at the sink is still on. So I think I'll try to release the pressure gradually. Just inch the knob at the faucet to switch from fill mode to syphon mode... and just inch the knob at the end of the hose just a little to match. Suddenly, water starts jetting out the end of the python all over the bathroom!

Umm... turning the knob to let water out is not a good idea when there's a lot of pressure!

At least the bathroom got a good cleaning.

2. I was so smug to buy a long tube for the end of my python so it could reach the bottom of my large tank. Rather than get the actual python brand, I just got a bargain brand off the shelf.

Worked like a charm when syphoning the water out of the tank. So now I took it to the bathroom to rinse out the tube and switch the water to fill the tank. I turn the knob at the faucet and hose end so the water should begin pouring out the python to get it ready to fill my tank. But nothing's happening. The water isn't coming out of the python. What's wrong?

BAM! LIke a shooting rocket, the long tube shoots off the end of the hose with water coming out everywhere!

CRASH! The water hits the hot bulbs at the top of the sink mirror and one shatters!

Lesson learned. When getting a generic brand tube for a python, FIRST REMOVE THE FLAPPER inside the tube that's used for a pump syphon. It lets water in, but not out... that is until the whole thing shoots off the end of the python hose after the pressure builds up!

3. Use python. Run out of time so leave python hose all over the floor to be reused in a few hours after running a quick errand. Finish errand. Turn on the water at the faucet to fill mode, knowing that you ALWAYS turn the knob at the hose end to off.

Suddenly, water starts shooting everywhere! Race to turn the water off! And then realize that you ALWAYS turn the knob off EXCEPT THIS TIME.

Wet bathroom without glass. I'm improving!

4. Get frustrated because filter will not prime. Decide to fill the intake hose manually. Repeat 3 times until you get the wonderful idea of using the python.

Turn python on very, very slowly so the water just trickles into the funnel. Fill up intake hose. Turn python.... ON FULL BLAST! Curtains wet! Tanks and cabinet soaked! Carpet drenched! Boxes sprayed with water!

Umm... it's helpful to remember which way the knob turns for off and ON.

5. And, lastly, learn how to repeat water disaster without even using a python.

Start jiggling everything to figure out why filter won't prime. Take uv sterilizer off its brackets and start move it upside down. Notice hose connection coming off. Start putting the uv sterilizer down... when... WATER EVERYWHERE!

Grab the open end of the uv sterilizer and plug hole with thumb. Grab hose end and plug hole with thumb.

Then realize that both ends are syphoning the water directly from the tank and you can't stop it without letting go.

Let go and have water go all over the inside of the cabinet! Hurry to turn the quick disconnect on the filter off to stop first water flow! Grab nearby bucket to hold water coming out of uv sterilizer. RUN to get step stool and wrench so you can unscrew the cap at the top of the "u" so you can break the syphon. FINALLY get it unscrewed and hear the water stop splashing all over the bucket and cabinet.

Step down from the step stool and just stare at the mess. Shake head. Mutter to self. Get towels.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's safe to have water around me!

PLEASE someone tell me they've done something like this with their python or filter?

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 03:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Wow, that's just bad luck! Your experience makes me hesitant to switch to the python.

I learned the hard way to always keep an eye on where the water is going whenever you're pulling a siphon. I dumped about 3 gallons on the ground by just having the siphon come out of the bucket, and as i was cleaning that up the bucket filled all the way up and started to overflow. Luckily i had towels there already. unluckily, as if to add insult to injury, i had to haul an overflowing 5g bucket up a flight of stairs and clean up everything that i spilled in between my tank (in the basement) and the backyard. The tank got a 45% water change that week (vs. the typical 17%)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
1) Turn water off. Open end valve, switch "pump" valve, turn water on. Problem solved.

Oh, and might aswell go ahead and buy the aqueon pump to replace the python pump that will inevitably break! They are built much better and work way, way better! Best 6 bucks I ever spent(after having spent 7 bucks 3 times on python pumps).

These things happen to all of us. I have shotty water pressure and to drain my line i have to raise it above my head. i wasn't really thinking, turned water off, raised it above my head(after having filled tank) and then turned water on to drain the line. It was still in "on" position and pumped water all over my head, shirt(dress uniform shirt for work) and the floor. I then got paged out for a 3 car pile up and had to go looking like a fool leaving water on the floor--when I came back, the dogs were soaked and so was the couch, the chair, and most of the carpet in the living room.

Life goes on.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

LOL! I can completely understand the bucket overflowing! I've come close, but managed to avoid it. It helps that I don't have a basement.

Don't be afraid of a python. Everything I posted was pure user error! My husband has told me that I remind him of Lucy in the old I Love Lucy show because I will sometimes have the funniest mishaps!

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
1)These things happen to all of us. I have shotty water pressure and to drain my line i have to raise it above my head. i wasn't really thinking, turned water off, raised it above my head(after having filled tank) and then turned water on to drain the line. It was still in "on" position and pumped water all over my head, shirt(dress uniform shirt for work) and the floor. I then got paged out for a 3 car pile up and had to go looking like a fool leaving water on the floor--when I came back, the dogs were soaked and so was the couch, the chair, and most of the carpet in the living room.
Okay, now I'm rolling in the isles! I was laughing right along with you until the part where you had to go to work like that! And then the dogs and all! OMG! That is hilarious. I'm sure it didn't feel like it at the time, but I can definitely relate.

I think your story ranks right up there with mine. Actually, I think you've topped it!

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
Okay, now I'm rolling in the isles! I was laughing right along with you until the part where you had to go to work like that! And then the dogs and all! OMG! That is hilarious. I'm sure it didn't feel like it at the time, but I can definitely relate.

I think your story ranks right up there with mine. Actually, I think you've topped it!
It is funny as hell now. At the time, not so much. Every call whipes you out and those types are the worst. So when I came home I just like to sit, hop on the net, and watch some tv for 20 min or so and then get back to it, but I got to spend 2 hours cleaning up the mess before the wife came home so she didn't know...

Ironically, she just thought I cleaned really good. I let her think that to this day!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
1) It is always a good idea to turn off the sink and relieve the pressure in the line before doing anything else.

2) I can see how this could happen to anyone... one little detail overlooked and BAM, water everywhere

3) Never test Murphy's Law, you will always lose.

4) If you want a small trickle from the python, it is best to adjust the pressure at the sink, not the python valve. Keeping too much pressure in the line can cause plastic pieces to crack, or the entire thing to pop off the faucet.

5) I've come to expect this sort of thing to happen any time I get near the tank plumbing. My advice, buy yourself some chamois

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
Ironically, she just thought I cleaned really good. I let her think that to this day!
Ah, so there is hope that I can convince my husband that I'm cleaning very thoroughly, not having water exploding on accident!

Yes, dear. I planned it that way. I wanted the fish water all over the carpet for deep cleaning purposes. Didn't you hear that fish poop is not only an excellent fertilizer, but it's also a great carpet cleaner?

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
Vicki you make me laugh!! Reminds me of the time I had siphoned the water out of my tank and was then refilling it. I'm right there in the tank doing some re-arranging and planting when I hear water dripping on the floor! Both arms are shoulder deep in the water.. and of course my towel is over on the other side of the room. Not to worry though, cause it's just a little hand towel anyway! I call out to my daughter for towels and run to the bathroom to turn off the water. That was when I had the carpet. There was already so much water on the floor by the time I realized what had happened. It wasn't until I heard it dropping under the cabinet running off the filter tubes that I knew what was happening. Some how I was not in the line of fire. I still don't get that to this day!

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Yup, BTDT with the hand towel business. All it does is soak up a bunch of water so that you not only have a wet carpet, but now you have a soaked towel, dripping water everywhere!

I've done the same thing, but not quite as bad. I get ready to turn the water off just as it reaches the top, and then I screw up on which way to turn the knob. Water starts spilling out by the time I figure out which direction to turn that thing!

One of my favorites is when I do a water change on one of my smaller tanks. I fill it up to the top, sometimes more than I intended (see above). But it's not spilling out... YET.

So I go on about my business when, suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I see a leaf floating around in the water, close to the bottom of the tank. Well! That just can't be in a freshly cleaned tank! So I immediately plunge my hand, wrist and forearm into the water to get the dastardly floating leaf... when...

Drip! Drip! Drip!

Yup, my hand pushed the already too high water over the edge. Now water is flowing out everywhere!

You'd think I'd learn after the first time that's happened. Umm... no.

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 03:07 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
OMG too funny, this just reminds me of Why i do it 1 5g bucket at a time!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
If you get a LOT of water in the carpet, try to run out quickly and rent a carpet steamer. Many of them have a "suction only" feature, which can suck a good amount of water out before it can molder.

(Just sticking my nose in again!!)
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
hahahaha this is too funny!!!

When I worked in a pet store we had an ultra-long python for draining and filling the tanks, it ran from the back room, throughthe other back room into the main store area....needless to say, more than once water ended up everywhere when water changes were being done in those tanks!

Also, Vicki, i do the EXACT same thing and overflow my 5.5g by sticking my arm in it right after cleaning all the time!!! You'd think I would learn too.....but no.....

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I used to use a python to clean out my young water monitor cages (18"). Well lets say rat hair and chiken feet can clog up a python if you are not careful. I will leave it at that.

V P #8
Me, no Iphone nope not I. Heck I would not even have a cell if I was not married.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mr Cautious

Ok, so being very clever I syphon into a bucket, go tip it out and then return for another, and another....

Taking water from the tank last week I'm pouring a bucket into the sink (i know, good for the garden, but it was raining) when I notice that the water isnt draining away too quickly.

I put the bucket on the side, go under the sink, and with my Mr Clever and Mr Cautious hat on i wrap the undersink trap in towels and remove it....oh I'm so clever, no water spills.

I find some unmentionables along with a few bits of plant in there....yep, I'm clever! So I remove all the build up from the trap, smile at myself, then pour the remainder of the bucket into the sink..........with a nice view of the trap still sitting on the side i get a 'moist' feeling under foot, apparently you have to put the pipes back otherwise the water goes over all the cra....i mean carefully stored items, under the sink, and all over the floor, and all over my feet.

I've packed away both the clever and cautious hats....wont be needing those again

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode