What a rotten weekend, fish-wise :( - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Red face What a rotten weekend, fish-wise :(

Hello all,

Please allow me to vent for a few moments. I need some people who I can commiserate with, and I am pretty sure y'all fit the bill.

I know there are much bigger things in life to worry about, but this weekend was pretty rotten, fish-wise. I am trying to keep my sense of humor about it, but all-in-all I am pretty frustrated. This is supposed to be a stress-reliever, not a stress inducer!

1. The lovely pool filter sand in my 55 has turned an ugly shade of gray. And I do mean ugly! ICK! My wife doesn't think it looks bad. She must not have been paying attention when she first saw the tank. LOL I'll probably try to diagnose this in a thread after I have more information for you. So you have that to look forward to. HA! I have 5 bags of Eco Complete in my DFS cart, and my trigger finger is getting itchy! And don't even get me started on the Blyxa that I totally melted away. o.O

2. The impeller/filter/whatever on my 5-gallon hex conked out sometime over the past handful of days, so I spent yesterday chasing around tons o' cherry shrimp and then dropping them in Moon Base Alpha (my aforementioned tank with the grey moon sand.). I saw a handful of them still in the hex this morning, so I'll rescue the rest of the survivors tonight. Hopefully they will still be around.

3. My quarantine/time-out tank got hit with a major case of ich, based on a school of rummy nose tetras I recently purchased. So now my "school" of rummy nose tetras is now a pair. Hopefully I'll be able to find some others before long, but since that was the first time I have ever seen them locally, I am not overly optimistic. The time-out twins (male pineapple sword and male cherry barb) also looked quite ichy, but heat and meds have helped them rebound. On the good side, quarantining your fish works! Take note, kids!

And now back to your regularly schedule lives. Thanks for listening. I'll drop in later, after I talk myself off the ledge.

Dave

My son's 29 Gallon - 1 Firemouth, 1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco, and 6 Bloodfin Tetras
55 Gallon - always in need of some new plants - 1 Pearl Gourami, 7 Zebra Danios, 3 Albino Bristlenose Plecos and 4 really old Amano Shrimp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Hey Dave,

Sucks to hear. We've all been there at least once or twice.

As far as your RCS tank goes...why not just drop in an airstone for them? Heck, even without filtration, they'll just keep chugging along unless the tank is overstocked.

You don't need to fish them out. Airstone and you'll be set. Or a sponge filter if you have one.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
agreed. RCS's are hardy boys... i neglected my 10 gal tank for a few months.. no filtration, no nothing.. just overgrown and dying plants and water slowly evaporating...

when i got around to cleaning it up, I found I not only had cherry shrimp survivors but that they had reproduced and there were quite a few baby shrimp as well.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:19 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dave,

I feel your pain, I had a school of black Tetras wiped by ick once. Later on I started to use a diatom filter in a hospital tank. It helped to stop the bugs cycle cold. The fish all survived that bout,

Before I re-introduced fish into the main tank, I used the diatom filter on the main tank for several days, just in case, that was last fall, tank is clean, and have had no outbreaks. All of my new fish get quarantined now.

About the diatom filter. The powder medium is very bad to breathe, but if you take the proper safeguards, correct mask, etc, no problems.

FIVE BAGS OF ECO? At what $30.00 a bag? WOW! You are the man!

Can't wait to find out about your Moon sand

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode