Looking for some help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looking for some help

Alright I've had my tank up and running for awhile now and growing pretty well, but I'm wanting to take things up a notch here and I've already got some plans but would like some people to tell me what they think.

First I'm thinking about adding another pair of bulbs to the tank. I've already got two 40w 4400k bulbs and two 32w 10,000k bulbs. I'm thinking of adding another ballast and upping adding two more 32w 10,000k bulbs. That'd bring me to about 4wpg. Too much light or am I doing fine where I am?

I'm definitely going compressed co2, right now I have two diffusers for the tank running under each filter outlet to help blow the bubbles around. Until I go to a canister system this is about the best I can do. is compressed co2 a waste with HOBs?

I can't seem to grow a "lawn" for the life of me in this tank and I blame alot of that on two items.
1. I've got black gravel over onyx sand or something so it's hard for it to take root and come up between the stones at times
2. I've got 5 loaches who's life goal is to dig up anything I plant that's not bigger than they are
I just spent $45 on an absolutely huge order of dwarf hairgrass that came in great condition. Spent about 3 days total planting it after work and I'm down to maybe 1/8th of what I was shipped still in the soil and it's not doing much in the way of sprouting up anywhere as far as I can tell, although this was a very short brand of DHG that the shipper said never gets more than about 1 1/2" to 2" up from the surface. Is there any hardier plant that would grow a better lawn for me and put up with my loaches? If I was to replace the substrate should I add onto what I have or should I tear this all down and start over again?

I like the way my tank looks, but I just want to take it to the next level really and I've sort of plateaud on my knowledge level here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
fertilizer? how big is your tank?

hair grass takes a little while to grow. As long as you don't have algae growing on the grass, it's a good sign.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Your loaches are digging it up...I had to keep my loaches, cories, and otos in a separate holding tank when my lawn was getting established.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Fertilizing with the entire Seachem line of liquid ferts right now but switching to dry fertilizers as soon as paypal verifies my checking account *grumble*.

Tank is a 55 gallon. There's no algae in the tank save for the outflows on the filters really and I attribute that to my little crew of 10 oto's.

Here's a pic of a tied down riccia lawn I tried but just couldn't get attached to.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'm too scared to hook my bank account with paypal. I have a cc with paypal and that works fine.

try excel to give the plants and extra carbon boost.
The loaches especially clowns will mess around with your plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

I've been using excel, planning on buying a big bottle of the stuff through fosters and smith to help keep the cost down.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode