I don't like my tank and can't figure out how to fix it - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't like my tank and can't figure out how to fix it

Hi:

I am running an Upper Rio Negro flooded biotope tank. (flooded blackwater). Brasil.

Anyway, here is: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=715786

But I don't like it and I can't figure out how to fix it. The last pictures are the latest update. It is making me really unhappy and I cannot figure out why. I feel like I need some other fish or something - or something - I don't know. It needs something. Some pizazz.

Or something.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

dbw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 12:51 AM
Algae Grower

looks a bit cluttered to me i would take out a few of the smaller branches and some leaves..add a large stump or rock to the rear follow the rule of thirds that will help with focal point.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SvenBoogie
Really difficult to know how to answer this question without having the slightest idea what style of aquascaping, etc, you find appealing.

Also hard to respond without potentially sounding condescending because I have no idea what you've already read or looked into as far as design concepts, inspiration, or any number of other things.

Maybe a little more information to go on?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like the idea of a large stump or rock. No rocks in the Rio Negro, but I can certainly put in a large stump. Great idea. Actually I have a large "log" that I located and cleaned and have yet to get the screws, etc. to be able to affix it to slate so that it would stay down. Perhaps when that is in, that would be better. Also, I think I really like the idea of a stump. There is an upcoming local swap meet and perhaps I can get something there.

As for style of aquascaping, this is a biotope, so it is supposed to represent the natural habitat. "Pretty" aquascaping does not matter and is not a consideration. (AGA Biotope contest rules). So I am not looking for pretty or like Amano Takashi. :-)

Biotope, natural, wildlife, habitat, as if you were there...standing amidst the knots and tangles of the flooded Rio Negro tributary with rummynose and cardinals swirling around the tops of your legs, as you are knee deep in fallen leaves and detritus. Imagine taking a net, placing it in the knee high leaves, pulling it up, and retrieving amidst the leaf litter a net full of dwarf apistogramma who dwell in those leaves.

Such is my tank.

Thanks.

dbw
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 02:42 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
That's pretty much how it would look if you just took an underwater photo in that region. So I guess it's correct for what you're going for. I like the suggestion of a stump. That would really clean up the cluttered look you currently have.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks. :-)

Yes, I do think it is the way it would look (hopefully) from pictures and diving videos of the area I have looked at. I am just looking for something because something is missing and it is driving me crazy.

Thanks.

dbw
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 04:31 AM
Algae Grower

looking forward to seeing how its turns out..Personally i love flooded tanks. You could do upright tree bark as well ive seen some nice tanks using this method. http://www.hiwtc.com/buy/natural-aqu...ee-bark-95891/
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Too twiggy.
Even if the Rio Negro has fallen branches or roots in the water, go with fewer, perhaps larger.

One big one arching through most of the tank with perhaps one fork, keep it simple.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmm.. thanks everyone. I like the idea of the standing trees and it was something I was considering. It does look nice.

Hmm.. I am pondering.

dbw
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

As DR points out in the first post we don't know what you like and dislike so I can only answer your question by referring to my own preferences. No matter how you rescape this tank I would find it dirty and depressing looking. I more than realize you are trying for a particular look but for myself no matter how well that look was achieved I personally wouldn't be happy looking at my tank that way for long. I like a brighter more interesting tank even though I've seen some with dark areas in them caused by excessive plant growth and/or surface plants, and I've liked the overall effect, they had some areas that were brighter and clearer.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 05:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
I suspect that many smaller branches CAN work, but here they do not. You are trying to capture an interesting vignette - a piece of the natural world - so the arrangement of branches might work best if they look like ONE branch, as Diana has mentioned. Or maybe two branches that fell from opposite sides into one place, but what you are showing is a collection of individual branches that do nothing as a group. If you look at biotopes that work best I think this is the difference you will notice.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Perhaps you can make a more random placement of the branches, they look too posed. Just throw them in a pile to mimic a tangle of branches which so often happens in a river. I love the blackwater look you have!

Last edited by longgonedaddy; 09-28-2014 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 05:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/97%)
That last picture reminds me of True Blood swamp sections of the beginning of the show.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 01:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I'm going to critique based on this picture:

The first thing I notice is that the leaves of the floating plants are too large. They make the tank look tiny. As an alternative, you could try tying some moss to floating pieces of driftwood.

The next thing I see is that the branches are all fairly evenly spaced and parallel.

It might look better to have the branches grouped into one large bunch and one smaller one, with the spaces between the branches smaller and more irregular. Make sure there's variety in the angles of the branches and that none are perfectly vertical or pointing directly at a corner. Try to make the spaces between branches triangular instead of rectangular.

The plants are too scattered around the tank. I would suggest confining them within one or two areas.

Of course, you don't have to do this, but it might give you some ideas:

(Sorry for the poor quality. I did this on a Kindle without a drawing app.)

Proud member of

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode