licorice gouramis, shrimp and care - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
licorice gouramis, shrimp and care

My LFS has 2 licorice gouramis. How "shrimp safe" are they and what conditions do they need to thrive?

46 Bow Front Planted
Eheim 2217 & 2236, 2-39wt T5 bulbs (10,000), 72-75*
Pristella tetras, cardinal tetra, amano shirmp, bamboo shrimp, nerite snails, assassin snails and red cherry shrimp.

My tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Mandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
low ph like 5.0-6.5 less like 4 for egg hatching a black water tank would be perfect so leaf litter low gh and kh 78-82 degrees and if the shrimp will fit in their mouth they will eat them, they might eat flake most need live food , this is what I remember off the top of my head, very beautiful little fish, so to keep them they have very specific needs and I am actually kind of surprised a fish store is selling them because of their need of live food and the water conditions required.They will eat like baby brine shrimp and they like anything small enough to fit in their mouths, I will own some someday when I have more time to get the stuff they need and to have the time to take care of them. Other than that they are kind of like bettas need hides plants are a plus and are air breathers like bettas
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alright, there goes that idea. Just tested my PH and it's 7.6

And my LFS only got them because some one ordered them but never picked them up. They only have 2

46 Bow Front Planted
Pristella tetras, cardinal tetra, amano shirmp, bamboo shrimp, nerite snails, assassin snails and red cherry shrimp.

My tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Mandy

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

yeah very beautiful little fish but yeah they have special needs
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Not sure if my other fish/shrimp would mind a low PH, but in the future, how can I lower the PH? I have quite a lot of drift wood in my tank, but that has done nothing for the PH

46 Bow Front Planted

My tank:

-Mandy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 12:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
indian almond leaves, alder cones, also aquasoil will drastically lower your ph

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

well you have to use chemicals which is risky, you need to get the ph in the tank right before fish, them once fish are added you have to prep water for water changes and get it to where it needs to be before adding it to the tank, or buy a RO water system and use things like peatmoss pellets in the filter and drift wood and so on. if you had an RO system where you could store the water in a barrel and add oak leaves and so on for tannins and to lower the ph it would work, but yeah time and money, my ph is like 8.0 and the water is hard so it is a nightmare to work with so I have learned to keep fish that can tolerate it and use peatmoss pellets and driftwood.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
indian almond leaves, alder cones, also aquasoil will drastically lower your ph
This is true depending on the buffer the gh or kh whichever it is the higher those are the harder it is to lower
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Would there be any benefit to my current fish/shrimp/plants by adding indian almond leaves to my existing tank? Don't want to tint the water tho. I like how it's crystal clear. But if it could help my current stock, then it's a consideration.

46 Bow Front Planted

My tank:

-Mandy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just went to test my gh and kh, master test kit did not come with it. Grrrr

46 Bow Front Planted

My tank:

-Mandy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode