When to dose flourish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
When to dose flourish?

Really quick question.

When should you dose with the regular flourish liquid supplement?

I do 20% water changes twice a week around noon, and I've been dosing with flourish right after the water changes. But should I really be doing this? Maybe I shouldn't dose until the day after a water change....or dose furthest away from the next water change.....

So, when exactly (time) should you be dosing flourish for best results?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'd say it depends... I dose Flourish everyday (when I remember) but at least 5 times a week. Sometimes I will give a day or two break after a water change. But it depends on how much you dose and how fast your plants can use the dosage you are giving them. The trick to dosing is to keep algae to a minimum and at the same time keep the plants growing as fast as possible.

In my tanks the more I does the more things grow.....
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheEdge View Post
I'd say it depends... I dose Flourish everyday (when I remember) but at least 5 times a week. Sometimes I will give a day or two break after a water change. But it depends on how much you dose and how fast your plants can use the dosage you are giving them. The trick to dosing is to keep algae to a minimum and at the same time keep the plants growing as fast as possible.

In my tanks the more I does the more things grow.....
Doseing more than the recommended amount (1 capful for every 60 gallons once or twice weekly) is shown to have adverse affects on fish. Often causing columnaris, funguses, and bacterial infections. Especially in cyprinids. That is why I only dose twice a week. But what I would love to know is the exact time, not the amount of dosing.

Thanks!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
The earlier in the day is what Seachem say's because when the lights are off the nutrients are not used as well. I dose right after the water change if by chance I have done this in the evening I will wait till the next morning.
I do the same with the iron. Excel I use daily.

75g, pair of gold rams , ABN, 1 adult 2 young discus, 2oto's, 6ADF's, 3 anglefish. 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
I don't usually dose ferts on the day I do water changes. I dose all my ferts just before I leave in the morning. Lights come on within an hour.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Characins View Post
Doseing more than the recommended amount (1 capful for every 60 gallons once or twice weekly) is shown to have adverse affects on fish. Often causing columnaris, funguses, and bacterial infections. Especially in cyprinids. That is why I only dose twice a week. But what I would love to know is the exact time, not the amount of dosing.

Thanks!
I've had no problems.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Algae Grower

If you use plantex csm +B, is there any need to use Flourish?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheEdge View Post
I've had no problems.
Maybe you do. Sometimes the symptoms aren't obvious, or maybe you just don't notice. If you stopped dosing you could see an improvement in the fish.

But hey, it's your choice!

And thanks everyone for the help!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Characins View Post
Maybe you do. Sometimes the symptoms aren't obvious, or maybe you just don't notice. If you stopped dosing you could see an improvement in the fish.

But hey, it's your choice!

And thanks everyone for the help!
Back up here.
Quote:
Doseing more than the recommended amount (1 capful for every 60 gallons once or twice weekly) is shown to have adverse affects on fish.
WHO said this and where is the support for this?

You are trying to suggest that fish get disease due to adding traces daily or more than 2X a week? Where on earth did you get this information and did you test it under any sort of controlled conditions? I mean if I keep Altums, Apistos, any species of Cyprinid, Discus, virtually any sensitive tetra, catfish, loach, shrimp and invert.................

Long and short term cases, and many replications, where is my disease?
Why have I not seen this disease and adverse effects? If such diseases are "shown" to be due to frequent trace dosings, you need to be far more sure than a mere guess.

I have not use meds in 15+ years and at any time in the past, it was never once correlated with trace dosings.

So if what you claim is true, why do not I not see it?
I cannot obviously say why you have issues, or those of others, but there are 1001 and 1 ways to kill fish, stress them out and induce the wide range of diseases listed by you above.

I mean if it's a direct cause of disease, then I should have seen some evidence of this and so should more folks on this list and others that have kept planted tanks over the long term. Note, this has not a thing to do with you personally, I'm saying you need to come up with a lot more support for your claim there because it does not match the observations(not even close).

I have a control and the tank does not have any short acute of chronic long term issue due to trace dosing, day night, high frequency etc. If you really think this, I'd suggest you go back and figure out what else you might be doing wrong that causes diseases.

I cannot rule out every possible reason why an aquarist gets a disease, no one possibly can, but I can rule out why one thing might/might not.
That's how you go about thing, one by one, takes work and time. Then you can focus on what might be causing the issue. Many folks that do not even add traces have those diseases listed, how do you explain that?

There may be many more reasons that have not been considered when making the claim. That is far more likely given the observations and they have support(poor water quality, lack of water changes, wrong temps, KH's, sick dying plants.......poor use of CO2 etc)

The doubt is much more upon your statements, but likely someone or web site full of beans put this into your head without any support which you took to be true(many do this-do not feel bad). Prove me wrong and explain how many tanks have never had such issues ranging from 2 gal to 1600 gallon and 20 years?

If what you said is true, then I must see these issues in my own tanks, however I do not, so these claims cannot be true.

Now you do not have to fret and worry over fear based logic and folks know their fish are not going to get disease due to trace dosing.

So there's a method to why I said all this, and it helps folks from getting stuck in myths, fear and mere guessing....

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
>>>>The trick to dosing is to keep algae to a minimum and at the same time keep the plants growing as fast as possible. In my tanks the more I does the more things grow.....

You seem to imply that too much micros and traces can cause algae. I had not heard this, are you sure?

---------
My tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photography Website (my other hobby)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
>>>>The trick to dosing is to keep algae to a minimum and at the same time keep the plants growing as fast as possible. In my tanks the more I does the more things grow.....

You seem to imply that too much micros and traces can cause algae. I had not heard this, are you sure?
I've actually heard of that, but it's an old myth.
One that was popular in the 1990's but in the last 5-8 years has not been en vogue or well correlated with aquarist.

The idea that a fish disease is caused by dosing more than 2x a week is a new one, never heard that in well over 12 years on the web.

http://www.seachem.com/products/prod.../Flourish.html

Nowhere could I find any support for this claim. No research, nothing.
Nor can I find any such support having dosed for over a decade much more frequently than 2x a week with these specific fish.

So I'll ask again for support for this claim, or assume it's another of one those myths that are churned out with amazing speed on the Internet.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 01:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich815 View Post

I guess I was being a bit obtuse.... I should have said that when dosing properly the plants should grow fast and algae will be kept in check.

I think that's what I meant

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode