Stocking question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Stocking question

So I have a 55 gallon planted tank that I'm in the process of restocking and need some help finishing up.this is what I currently have

-1 angelfish
-2 red minor tetras
-1 black neon tetra
-1 long finned rosy barb

Bottom feeders:
- 5 Cory cats
- 1 pictus catfish
- 1 clown loach
- 2 kuhli loaches
- 1 peacock eel
- 2 plecos

Obviously I'm pretty good on bottom feeders but the mid and top swimmers need work but I'm not really sure what I wanna do. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Biggest trouble is you have a lot of potential large sized fish in a good sized but not enormous tank.

You make no mention of Pleco types, but those could potentially be monsterous fish.

You also have a Pictus cat, Clown Loach, and Angelfish; all of which get quite large.

Your schooling fish are solo and that's not ideal.

The Rosy Barb can potentially be aggressive, and with not other Barbs to pick on that could lead to him finding other tank mates.

The answer you will get is this:

Rehome several of your larger fish and fill in the schools of your preferred smaller ones. I'm relatively new, but that's the recommendation across the board.

Also us Aqadvisor and that will help you quite a lot. The Cory's are the only thing there really close to right.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

yes i know all of this so i should have mentioned that i plan on getting a bigger tank in the future so i wanna keep some of the bigger fish. the angel i dont really care a bunch for but my pictus and clown are like my two favorite fish and i would love to hold on to them for a while. as for my mid to top swimmers idkwhat to do. what i was thinking was having two centerpiece fish (angels, gouramis, etc) then maybe evening out the red minor tetras to 8 or so and then getting 8-10 some type of tetra or small schooling fish. the black neon could work for that or maybe get rid of him and do another type of small fish group. the rosy barb will be going soon also. just kinda wanted some ideas. angel, black neon, and barb can go. for sure wanna do a school of red minor tetras and a school of some other small fish

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The best laid plans of mice and men...

It sounds like you already know what you want to do then?

It will always remain scary stocking a tank for what you hope to eventually have.

Hypothetically though if you are going to enlarge your tank in the not so distant future.

I'd get rid of the Barb. I'd get your minor tetras. I would then either get rid fo the black neon and pick another small schooling fish (Careful with the Angel as you could just be feeding it).

I'd probably increase the Cory and unless you are dealing with the smaller Pleco species I would either get rid of one, or trade them in and invest in the smaller pleco species.

If you do get that larger tank you will probably need to add Clown Loaches/Pictus cats. The pictus will potentially become major predators as well.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Citrus View Post
The best laid plans of mice and men...

It sounds like you already know what you want to do then?

It will always remain scary stocking a tank for what you hope to eventually have.

Hypothetically though if you are going to enlarge your tank in the not so distant future.

I'd get rid of the Barb. I'd get your minor tetras. I would then either get rid fo the black neon and pick another small schooling fish (Careful with the Angel as you could just be feeding it).

I'd probably increase the Cory and unless you are dealing with the smaller Pleco species I would either get rid of one, or trade them in and invest in the smaller pleco species.

If you do get that larger tank you will probably need to add Clown Loaches/Pictus cats. The pictus will potentially become major predators as well.
okay what small fish do you reccomend? and should i get another angel to pair up with?
im not sure on the plecos. one is just your basic petsmart pleco and the other has like really long spikish things on his nose and he has extremely long fins with a more flattish body
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

also should i increase my kuhli loaches?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 05:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

1 angelfish Good as a single, or get a mate if you know the sex of the one you have.
-2 red minor tetras Schooling. Get more. Maybe small enough to get eaten.
-1 black neon tetra Schooling, but small enough to get eaten.
-1 long finned rosy barb Cool water fish, does not belong in this set up. Nice fish, OK in a small group in a tank of about 30 gallons.
- 5 Cory cats Schooling. 5-6 is a minimum. Might get eaten.
- 1 pictus catfish Really neat fish! OK as a single, or in a group. Predator. That mouth can open wide enough to eat the smaller fish on this list.
- 1 clown loach Social fish that can reach a foot long. Best kept in a group of at least half a dozen. A 200+ gallon tank is a good idea.
- 2 kuhli loaches Social fish, but could get eaten. I would put these is a separate tank, not with the predators.
- 1 peacock eel One of the smaller eels, but a predator. Can open that mouth awfully big! For size, not too bad in your tank, but you cannot keep anything smaller in this tank. Better to move him to a larger tank so you can keep some other fish without them getting eaten.
- 2 plecos The Pleco with the facial adornment is a very good fish.
Bristlenose Pleco. Good algae eater, generally does not bother the other fish, ideal for this tank size. There are several color variations, and long fin types.
The 'basic petsmart pleco' can be any of several species that get anywhere from a foot to 2' long. They grow FAST. (Nephew got one less than a year ago and it is 6" long already).
Unless the 'larger tank' is going to be 200+ gallons, return this fish.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
1 angelfish Good as a single, or get a mate if you know the sex of the one you have.
-2 red minor tetras Schooling. Get more. Maybe small enough to get eaten.
-1 black neon tetra Schooling, but small enough to get eaten.
-1 long finned rosy barb Cool water fish, does not belong in this set up. Nice fish, OK in a small group in a tank of about 30 gallons.
- 5 Cory cats Schooling. 5-6 is a minimum. Might get eaten.
- 1 pictus catfish Really neat fish! OK as a single, or in a group. Predator. That mouth can open wide enough to eat the smaller fish on this list.
- 1 clown loach Social fish that can reach a foot long. Best kept in a group of at least half a dozen. A 200+ gallon tank is a good idea.
- 2 kuhli loaches Social fish, but could get eaten. I would put these is a separate tank, not with the predators.
- 1 peacock eel One of the smaller eels, but a predator. Can open that mouth awfully big! For size, not too bad in your tank, but you cannot keep anything smaller in this tank. Better to move him to a larger tank so you can keep some other fish without them getting eaten.
- 2 plecos The Pleco with the facial adornment is a very good fish.
Bristlenose Pleco. Good algae eater, generally does not bother the other fish, ideal for this tank size. There are several color variations, and long fin types.
The 'basic petsmart pleco' can be any of several species that get anywhere from a foot to 2' long. They grow FAST. (Nephew got one less than a year ago and it is 6" long already).
Unless the 'larger tank' is going to be 200+ gallons, return this fish.
what smaller schooling fish do you reccomend? the black neon will probably go so thats why im asking? preferabbly something colorful too

Bump: what do you guys think of harlequin rosbaras or zebra danios
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 09:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Won't your Pictus cat and peacock eel eat all the other smaller fish ? Most of the schooling tetras etc would be food

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Not sure I guess I'll find out lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode