Aquabotanic - The Planted Tank Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Aquabotanic

For example, if you buy a certain stem plant, say Ludwigia repens, from aquabotanic, I was wondering how many stems they give you. It wasn't stated in the website and hence my question. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Send Robert a PM or contact him through his website. He is best suited to answer any questions about his business.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 04:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would not buy from here at all. Apart from the anubias on driftwood which was nice (but pricey), almost every single plant I bought was nearly dead. I still am not sure I can salvage what I did receive. This cannot be due to shipping time either since some of the plants were rotting and must have been shipped out nearly dead in order to arrive in the state they did.

The plants are also vastly different than what is pictured on the website. In addition I was sent duplicate plants for what I am guessing was suppose to be a substitution for a different plant I ordered and did not receive - without my permission.

Just a heads up to anyone looking to buy from here at the current moment.

One plus I do have: he charges for shipping what it actually costs to ship, which is nice.

In a late answer to your question: I think I received about 4 or 5 stems for the bunch plants.

-tristan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Riley
I have always had good luck with AB. I also agree with Momotoro......shoot Robert a PM or call him. He would be better at answering your questions.

Bunches of stem plants usually have 5-7 stems in a bunch....depending on species.

--------------

Riley
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

I too have had some pretty rotten orders from AB in the past and stopped buying from him years ago. The survival rate to expense ratio wasn't worth it for me.

HOWEVER, IN HIS DEFENSE (and that of all online plant retailers), I believe that Robert was trying to send out my orders as quickly as possible. When I get my plants from the distributors they've been in a box for at least two days already and are starting to show the stress of being tightly packed into a moist sealed container. We all know that equals rot. Add the time of processing an order and the additional in-box time as the plants are shipped to the consumer it's no surprise that they're probably half dead. It's generally not feasable nor economical for the retailer to acclimate and rejuvenate all incoming stock in a high quality environment such as we have in our hobby tanks.

I know Robert means well and does the best he can for his customers. Sometimes there's nothing he, or any online retailer, can do when it comes to shipping live plants. The longer they're in a box the worse off they're going to be. That's the price we hobbyists pay when placing online orders. The only thing we can do is understand the constraints the dealers are under and decide if the quality of product we end up with is worth the money we're paying.

My $.02,
Phil
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 03:36 PM
baz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
Have placed a few orders with Robert and have had a good experience overall. My last order was for a fabco needle valve. Turns out it was out of stock and he made the effort to call me explaining the situation. He then rectified the problem by going out of his way to obtain one, delaying the order by only a day or so.

I have not ordered plants from AB so can not comment on that. As to plants looking different than the pictures online, know that some plants received can be of emersed growth and takes time to adapt to look like ones pictured.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I was going to place an order with AB but they never answered my emails so i went elsewhere. i bought my plants from the best place to buy plants, the Swap n Shop!

~ Jose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I do feel this vendor does his best here and will defend him.

Folks must realize that heat and freezing is part of the game, and while it might be warm in Ca, it might be frozen in NYC and cooking hot in Florida in 2-3 days that it takes to ship.

This cannot be the vendor's fault.
I know some plants can be fine for a week in the bag, whereas at warmer temps, 1-2 days and you have mush.

Folks are cheap when it comes to buying plants also, they do not want to pay for pricy next day air shipping either, but for 10$ more, I think it's well worth it. Ask if they can ship that method for sensitive species. Many will.

Simple solution and you get healthy plants as a result.
Or join plant club, sell/buy/trade amongst hobbyist.
If you have an issue with a vendor, try and address it with them directly.
Give them a chance to make it right.

These folks do this not for the massive amounts of cash they make , that I can assure you, so don't act like they are ebay scam artists. They do other things besides this business in most cases. Some take more time to get back to you, but a few days is typically reasonable.

I leave for the weekend too and have other jobs

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Folks are cheap when it comes to buying plants also, they do not want to pay for pricy next day air shipping either, but for 10$ more, I think it's well worth it. Ask if they can ship that method for sensitive species. Many will.

I'll second that I normally buy my plants from Mark at anubiasdesign.com
and I always pay the extra money for faster shipping.

I tend to give more slack to people shipping live things since there are so
many variables not only in shipping but in just filling the order especially
when your dealing with people half a world away.

- Brad
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Let's please make sure this doesn't turn into a vendor bashing thread. If you have problems with a vendo please take it to their sponsor forum. If such a forum doesn't exist try Swap n' Shop and please be polite and succinct in your post.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Thanks Phil for putting that out there. Well said. But as Tom said, if you have a problem or had some unresolved issues with some plants shipments, you should be speaking to Robert directly. I am sure he will help you out in any way he can.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Let's please make sure this doesn't turn into a vendor bashing thread. If you have problems with a vendo please take it to their sponsor forum. If such a forum doesn't exist try Swap n' Shop and please be polite and succinct in your post.
Yep,
It gets a bit old hearing these same complaints over and over.
This is not one vendor, I've heard it for every vendor over the years.
Near as I can tell, Robert has tried more than many.

This is part of mail order with live, highly perishable materials.
Be smart, pay the extra few $ for fast shipping, it will never come in looking bad. If so, then you can blame the vendor. Also, with good care, most plants will bounce back rapidly and fill in after a trim or two, week or two.

So learn to grow well, and as long as you get something somewhat viable, you will end up with a lot of weeds soon enough anyway. You can also ask if they have something first, and if something looks particularly good.

If you get screwed a few times, well.....then ...........
1 x my fault, two times...........

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Algae Grower

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Yep,
This is part of mail order with live, highly perishable materials.
Be smart, pay the extra few $ for fast shipping, it will never come in looking bad. If so, then you can blame the vendor. Also, with good care, most plants will bounce back rapidly and fill in after a trim or two, week or two.
I agree with Tom here as well.

As for Robert - I need to say that I've ordered plants from him a couple of times already, and nothing ever went wrong. Shipping was almost instant, all plants I've ever received arrived in great shape (got few extras too), and took off for me as soon as I've put them in the tank.
Bottom line - it was a pleasure for me to do business with Robert, and I'm sure it will be a pleasure in the future as well.
Cheers
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I think I had a good experience with AB a while back.
Just be sensible and not order anything live in the dead of winter or in the heat of summer.
Honestly, vendors should just refuse to ship in those times.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Algae Grower

Well, as was said before, it can be nice and worm in one part of the country, and freezing in the other. For example, last December in NY temp. was holding around 60F - for couple of weeks, if I remember well. I think I wouldn't have a problem with the quick plant order at that time - but it would probably depend from where they were being shipped. Hehe, guess it would be a bit too much to require the vendor to follow weather reports in the destination locations
Therefore:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Just be sensible and not order anything live in the dead of winter or in the heat of summer.
Agree on that one
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode