what is a really good canister filter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool what is a really good canister filter

What is a really good and reliable canister filter for a 55 gallon aquarium?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 05:28 PM
Planted Member

That depends on what you want to spend.

Anything Eheim if you have the money. I've never had an issue with my ProII, and probably won't. You can't match the engineering, reliability, or build quality.

In the middle cost-wise, there's Fluval. A 304, 404 will work on a 55, or possibly an FX6 for high flow. These are solid filters that do the job.

At the low cost end, some people swear by sun sun filters. I really can't blame them for the price, but I've never used one, so I can't speak for their build quality or reliability.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

filter

Thanks for the response. I would rather spend a little more and get a good quality filter. I want one that is easy to do maintenance on. And one I wont have to worry about it leaking.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 05:48 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick dale View Post
Thanks for the response. I would rather spend a little more and get a good quality filter. I want one that is easy to do maintenance on. And one I wont have to worry about it leaking.
If you want easy maintenance, buy a filter with quick-disconnect taps on the top.

That way, you can disconnect the hoses from the top of the filter with a switch, unplug it, and walk away to your sink with the whole unit. It doesn't get any easier.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Eheim 2217

The newer eheims are easier to do maintenance on because of quick-connect. The classics are super-reliable. (Never owned a newer model - EHEIM is excellent as a brand though)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 06:29 PM
IDR
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Eheim Eheim Eheim. All the way. I'm sure the other models are comparable, but the Eheim systems are fantastic, and the quick-connect/disconnect hoses make any kind of filter maintenance a breeze.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 06:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Aquatop CF 500 UV

Great fiter on a budget....
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi
I am also an Eheim fan but the best way to get a good idea of the pros & cons of the various filters is to look them up on Amazon and look at each of their reviews. I did and settle on Eheim, bit more money but seemed they had the best reviews and were purchased by a lot more people.
Word of advice, buy larger than you need or is rated for your tank. Easy to turn down their flow, not so easy to turn it up.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Honestly all filters are prettymuch the same. It really comes down to quality / reliability if you ask me. While a cheaper brand will certainly work great, it is been proven that EHEIM filters will last you many many years. I have a SunSun that cost me like $60 and works just as well as my eheims do. Time will tell how long it lasts though!

Also +1 on buying a filter 'rated' for much larger than your tank. Filter ratings / GPH listed by manufacturers are BS

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

filter

Is there any way to run the co2 thru the canister filter to help eliminate the co2 fizz in the tank ?
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Is there any way to run the co2 thru the canister filter to help eliminate the co2 fizz in the tank ?

If you do that, you'll end up with aeration inside your filter. This may or may not dissolve the CO2 into the water, but it WILL cause issues with your filter, and shorten it's life span (not to mention be very LOUD). You can either use a CO2 diffuser, or a CO2 reactor. I prefer the reactor myself. Again, if you buy an over sized filter, you can plumb a reactor to the outlet of your filter.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Through the same lines, yes, but as Loach Guy noted, it's best if you put the co2 AFTER the filter, not before, to avoid possible filter damage.

If you already have an inline system and still have fizz, perhaps try a reactor to give the co2 more time to dissolve into the water before it hits the tank. Cerges filters are easy to make and seem to do a good job.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=110100

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 10:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Eheim and Fluval G series stand out for quality and ease of maint. Rena XPs are a good buy. Nearly everything is decent these days.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 05:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

I just set up a Marineland C220 on my 40gal. It has quick release taps, runs quiet, good flow, 4 basket....

Some cons; no spray bar and the primer button seems to be letting air into the canister and I blame the primer button because I've eliminated the typical other causes, I'll be calling them Monday about it.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 05:47 AM
Algae Grower

Talking

Eheim here. Haven't owned any of the new ones but have had the 2213,2215 and 2217. All have been awesome filters. Have own Fluval before and have always had problems with them. Have also had an Aqua One cf1200 and had no problems at all. The one thing to watch out for is the watts they use (if that matters to you) Eheim always use the least which helps with a lower power bill

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode