new tank, need a little help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
msc
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
new tank, need a little help

Hi, Would like to thank everyone for all your post and replys. By reading so many for some time now, I have been able to set up my first tank. So for a start with trying keep things simple, I went with a red cherry shrimp tank. Set up the tank and did a fishless cycle, then 20 shrimp in the beginning of July. Every thing seems to be going fine no losses and lots of little ones. This is what I have and then I need to ask a few questions. TYIA for any help.
Tank is 20L
lighting, Nova extreme 2x 24w 1-10,000K, 1-FW Pink (8 hrs a day)
Glass top
AC-20 and AC-50 with pre sponge
100W, Heater, set at 75
Regaler black gravel
Some rocks and driftwood
Flam moss, Christmas moss and Java ferns
40 -50 Red Cherry Shrimp
4- Otto cats
30 to 40% water change once a week
API test kit, my reading are, Am.0, nit.0., nitrate5.0 before and after water changes. (think I get the nitrate from my tap water)
The one mistake I did make is with the black gravel, should have went with eco or fluorite, but I guess that is for the next tank.
Now for the questions,
Mosses seem to be growing well but slow, Java ferns thy did come with black spots on them from the start. They do not seem to be getting any more. Do not want to cut them becoses they have lots of plantlets on them. Some do look nasty. Do I pull of the plantlets or just let them be till thy fall off.

Fertilizers, been using Excel and Flourish, is there some thing elis I should add? Or should I be dosing some other way?

CO2, would there be any benefit to DIY co2, for a tank like this?
Thank you for any help. Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Your mosses and java fern are relatively slow growers anyway. Maybe an inch every week at most and that's with dry ferts and CO2.

Adding excel and flourish is ok but you will definitely benefit from DIY co2. Dry ferts will likely give your plants a boost in growth as well. You seem to be doing everything else fine.

As far as the java fern, just let it grow. If you think it is that ugly, you can cut off the entire leaf and another one will grow soon enough (so long as you don't cut off all the leaves
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
msc
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Thank you for you input Moogoo. On the ferns is it ok to just pull off the plantlets or do I wait for them to fall off? For dry ferts do I just flow EI method? Dose this sound like a fair starting point?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode