Eye level aquarium/stand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Eye level aquarium/stand

Has anyone built a stand so that the top of the tank is eye level?

I'm short, 5'1", but I have to get on my knees to look at my 75 gallon tank. I'm thinking about building a 39" tall stand so that I can stand and enjoy the tank.

My intentions are to use 4x4 posts for the 4 corners, 2x4's for the rest of the wood with 1x12 Cedar siding and plywood top.

The tank is 48"x18"x21" tall, planning on making the stand 49"x20".

I know I'll need a chair to clean it but I already have to use one if I need to replant of pull dead leaves.

Fraternity of Dirt #160
75 gallon - CO2 injected
5 gallon tall cube - CO2 injected

Wish I had an entire room dedicated just for more tanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm 5' tall, and our 55 gallon tank that our rats live in is on an eye level fish tank stand.... It is literally the most difficult thing to reach the bottom of the tank. I think it would look nice, but my 40 gal sits on a shorter stand, and it is SO much easier to work on.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Does using a chair make it easy?

I hate having to get on my knees to look at them.

Fraternity of Dirt #160
75 gallon - CO2 injected

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kntry View Post
Does using a chair make it easy?

I hate having to get on my knees to look at them.
No cause I have to move the step ladder everytime I need to clean a different section. I mean yeah it's nice to look at but it is honestly such a PITA. I can't even imagine having to bring buckets up and down the step ladder for water changes lol. I mean maybe a non planted tank with a python where you never have to reach the bottom LOL. I can literally reach maybe 3-4 inches in on my tippee toes, after that, I need a pretty big step ladder (3 step), standing on the top to reach.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:15 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
My tank is set up like that right now (a 40B). I wouldn't recommend it.

Makes maintenance much more difficult (and sort of dangerous). I have a small ladder I use to access tank for water changes and such. I don't feel like I can really clean the tank very well (particularly scraping algae from the glass).

This tank is about to move to my new office and most importantly, much closer to waist level...I'm very much looking forward to that!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have several tanks on tall stands, and the problems of working them sure exist, but I like being able to see into them.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 07:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Use the chair to sit in and look at them. Though I'm sure there's nothing like a slip while working from a chair/ladder in a tank and plunging head first into it to make ones day... Just sayin
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 08:00 AM
Planted Member

I built my stand and canopy for my 125 and the bottom of my tank 46'' off the floor. Yes that is high but I don't like having to to bend over to look at my tank. I have loads of storage underneath for my filters and my quarantine tank as well. PS I use a small ladder when I need to get into my tank, but for feeding I just open the door at the front and them.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 08:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
All 7 of my in-house tanks are at eye level while sitting relaxed. The tanks in the living room (3L, mini S, 30C, 12L & 60F) are on stands 33-36" tall, perfect viewing while lounging in a chair or sofa. In the bedroom, the stands are 24-33" tall, making viewing from my bed of those tanks (60P & 20C) at eye level. Viewing tanks standing are for public aquariums. Something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eheim Pimp #540
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Finnex Member #11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADA Gentleman #6

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 10:37 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
...at eye level while sitting relaxed...perfect viewing while lounging in a chair or sofa.
+1. I think that's why most stands are in that 33" range: the preferred posture for enjoying a tank tends to be seated.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Now I don't know what to do. LOL I think I will try to set something up at that level and see how hard it will be to work in it.

My present stand is only 27" tall. The tank is across from our bed and is even low to look at from the bed. The top of the tank is only 48" high. Our bed is higher than the stand!

My stand is only 16" wide and the inside of the stand is 14" wide. I'd love some extra room for storage, which is another reason I was thinking about building a stand.

Fraternity of Dirt #160
75 gallon - CO2 injected

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Now I don't know what to do
Nothing like a definite 'maybe'!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 12:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just did a stand that is 42" high with an 80g 16" high so that it would sit above a stair wall (58" overall). Looks nice as you can see it all across the room (live in a large loft). BUT, up and down a step stool is a pain and leaning over so much has made my shoulders sore! If I could do again, I would do at about 37-38" H. Few inches makes a big difference. Your kitchen counters are at 36" so you can sit a "21"H box" on that and see how it feels!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 01:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Yeah, I've also got a 38" tall stand and combined with a 20" high 55 gallon that's 58" tall. The top of the tank is at armpit level for me and it is such a pain in the neck having to reach my whole arm in there when vacuuming is or planting is necessary. But, if you're willing to put up with the inconvenience it definitely increases the visibility of the tank in a large room.

Also, if you're building a stand for an aquarium that large it is important to build the top platform the aquarium sits on as one would build a wall. Build a square from 2x4s then add five or six 2x4 crossmembers inbetween prior to adding the surface. Use at least 3" screws with pilot holes to ensure a good 1.5" of bite into the studs. Plus you're going to need one or two extra sets of legs in the middle. 75 gallons of water weighs 622 pounds so if you're going to build it then overbuild it as insurance against disaster.

Last edited by goodbytes; 09-19-2014 at 01:12 PM. Reason: typo
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
+1 for BeastMaster.
I have the Petco Brooklyn stand for one of my 10g tanks and I took two of the old real concrete cynder blocks, put down two 2x4's along the wall. One against it and the other out far enough for the end of the cynder block to go from the wall running out.
Then I got two pieces of 1x4 and placed them the same as the 2x4's for the legs of the stand to sit on. The end result is that the bottom edge of the tank is 41" from the floor. When I sit in a regular chair I look slightly down to see the bottom of the tank but up to see the top of it.
Of course a 10g is only 12" tall so not any problem to work in it. But then you could place a taller tank slightly lower. The main point is that the normal 30" for stands is way too low for me. So I pulled my chair in front of where I wanted the tank to go and used a tape measure to find eye level while sitting in it. I built the stand so that the middle was eye level.
And since it's regular chair height, I can see it well from where I'm sitting at this computer as it's only 8 ft away.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode