water change question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Send a message via AIM to resowner92
water change question

i was wondering if i can just top off my water or is it important to keep doing my weekly water change? I was thinking of getting an automatic top off system going on

Neil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by resowner92 View Post
i was wondering if i can just top off my water or is it important to keep doing my weekly water change? I was thinking of getting an automatic top off system going on
Wouldn't there be a build up of TDS over time? Unless of course you are using RO water for your top-offs.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Hot topic! And IMO there isn't a general answer. Depends on your tank set up. On my 55's I do a 50% change weekly because they are high tech and I use the EI method of dosing. On my low tech tanks, I don't do a W/C unless something goes wrong. All I do is top off the tank.

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If your tank is really well balanced chemically, you can go for years without a water change. Typically however, different types of waste build up and you will need to change the water at least every 2-3 months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
If using any ferts a weekly water change is a must. Especialy with EI dosing.

IF you have a VERY low bioload, you can go longer, but inevitably water changes are necessary. As much as I love the idea of a walstad type tank, I just don't buy into it all 100%.

A lot of things build up in our tanks that we are NOT testing for. This means that without water changes they just keep building up.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Send a message via AIM to resowner92
ok thats what i needed to hear i have lots of rcs in there so i dont think it will work

Neil

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 12:46 PM

i have an auto top off system. I still do weekly water changes. I use an open lid so the evaporation after a few days is allot. Its just easier with this. It just pulls from a 5gal water bucket under my tank~

easy~

chris
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I do a water change on all my planted tanks every two weeks. About 30 percent. Unless I have some algae growth then I do bigger water changes cause it helps it go away. Really it does.
I top off between changes.

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012
One non planted tanks. 75 gallon.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Algae Grower

I get alot of evaporation in one of my tanks because I have open top tank but if I need to during the week I do top up the tank but I still try to do a weekly water change, I find the plants are a bit happier with this......and the algae dosen't trouble me as much as it use too when I was a bit slacker with the water changes....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 03:43 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
There really is no one answer to this. For example i have a tiger barb tank that has not had a water change in over 2 years, they look awesome great color. But i also have a guppy tank that if it doesn't get its water change bi weekly fish start dieing, both have a similar bio load, both have few plants. I for the life of me cant explain it, then i have tanks that get 50% weekly without fail(shrimp) just because i dont wanna risk it.Guess it boils down to your tank and what works for it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode