Reducing the impact of flow ... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Reducing the impact of flow ...

hey guys is there any of you that own a penguin 350 filter that have successfully reduced / baffled the impact of the output.
i came across a video where the person used some plastic mesh and have tried the method but i still feel that its pretty strong.
am i understanding correctly that too much agitation of this sort at the surface is no good for us hoping to successfully keep plants?
at any rate, i really dont like the way the water flow makes the water fill up with teeny tiny air bubbles. it makes it look misty / cloudy almost.
was hoping to get some ideas ...

Last edited by luky; 09-19-2014 at 12:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 12:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
you could raise the water level so the "waterfall" has less time to build up power mid air. You could buy some small sponges and pack the filter full till the rate of flow slows down, this will only help with biological filtration too. You could also just block the outtake with something that water could pass through.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 05:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

if you run c02 then yes agitation is bad.

no co2, agitation is good

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 07:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naich View Post
you could raise the water level so the "waterfall" has less time to build up power mid air. You could buy some small sponges and pack the filter full till the rate of flow slows down, this will only help with biological filtration too. You could also just block the outtake with something that water could pass through.
That would cause a power filter to back up and discharge unfiltered water down around the intake pipe. I have that problem with my powerfilter (emperor 280) when the cartridges get clogged, it's how I know it's time to rinse the cartridge. Reducing the flow on a power filter IMO is tricky at best, if not impossible, unless you don't mind the flow back of unfiltered water around the intake pipe.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@philipraposo1982,
no co2, agitation = good
co2, agitation = bad
thanks for clarifying!!
@naich, thanks for the suggestions, but i think FatherLandDescendant makes a pretty good point there.
the gears are going in my head and i have seen something that seems like a pretty good idea that im wondering how i can implement in my situation.
what im talking about is a bottle / plastic of sorts that can catch the water coming out.
heres an example where someone used a soap dish to catch the water:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...-thing-304641/

heres an example where someone is using the water bottle:
http://www.fishforums.com/forum/diy-...er-baffle.html

i have a big empty tub of protein powder that im eyeballing here at home that i wonder if i can do something with. (???) but at the same time i like the soap dish idea too. was hoping to get some more ideas though.
btw, here the vid with the method that i have tried and have set up right now but like i said its still pretty bad in my opinion.

later this afternoon / evening i can post a quick vid a few seconds long so you guys can see.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Diverting the flow a bit more downward could help.
Using plastic such as cut from a water bottle or other kitchen thing is fine. Just gotta attach it firmly.

Keeping the water level up in the tank is important, too.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

hey guys ...
i just posted a vid in hopes of giving you all a visual and to hear weather i should do more to minimize further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnTO...ffle - YouTube

Last edited by luky; 09-28-2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: .
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

anyone that can chime in to just let me know w4eather or not i should continue to tinker around with it or leave it as is?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've heard from several different people that it's helpful to remove the bio rollers - seems to be a frequently-done thing.

I have also been wondering if you could use a lamp dimmer switch attached to the power cord to manipulate the voltage on the motor and reduce the output by lowering the motor's rpm. That would be really neat!

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
anyone that can chime in to just let me know w4eather or not i should continue to tinker around with it or leave it as is? i just posted a vid in hopes of giving you all a visual and to hear weather i should do more to minimize further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnTOCTRSh18
The thought has been running through my mind lately about weather or not to consider a canister filter to stop all the craziness up at the surface.
Then i can see myself in a situation later where i WONT have the surface movement / agitation and asking how to remedy that.

ive never owned a canister filter and wanted some feednack on a few that i came across on amazon. it so happens that the ones i will link to below all have pretty good reviews but wanted to hear thoughts and opinions from you guys.

- http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-A217-406-External-Filter/dp/B005QRDCWA
- http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-PC0350C-Purpose-Canister-Filter/dp/B00025YUR2/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t (what do they mean by "dual purpose"?)

- http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-PC-ML360-Multi-stage-Canister-100-Gallon/dp/B000NRTLVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411904046&sr=8-1&keywords=marineland+canister+filter
- http://www.amazon.com/SunSun-HW-302-3-Stage-External-Canister/dp/B00892EN22/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top (has good reviews but ive never heard of the brand so that worries me. price is great though)

any feedback / help deciding, as always is greatly appreciated guys. thanks all.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

bump ...
thoughts, opinions, ideas?
just trying to get some closure here and either plan on making the investment on the canister / or continue to try to baffle the flow more / or leave it as is.
note:
as i posted [previously - im not currently set up with a proper co2 but i am dosing with co2 booster. i will have a proper co2 set up soon and am worried about all the agitation and bubbles.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 08:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
I have also been wondering if you could use a lamp dimmer switch attached to the power cord to manipulate the voltage on the motor and reduce the output by lowering the motor's rpm. That would be really neat!
That's a really bad idea.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 08:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

I'd leave it alone. You want agitation in my opinion.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 10:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Well considering your gonna invest in CO2 system,I would spring for a canister which will eliminate problem of surface agitation.
Can't suggest size of filter for no mention has been made of tank size.
You will want good flow with CO2 to help distribute the gas throughout all areas of the tank.
If tank was 55 gal,,I would want a filter rated for 100 gal. or larger.
This along with maybe a power head will help with better distribution of CO2 .
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

LOL!! conflicting opinions!!! thats exactly why so much confusion on my part.
sorry by the way, for not mentioning the size of the tank. its a 29 gallon.
i got so wrapped up in trying to decide weather or not to make the investment in the canister and the baffling of the flow that i forgot to mention that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode