What's your hospital/QT set up? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
What's your hospital/QT set up?

Now that I have ANOTHER fish residing in my no-medicine "shrimp" 10 gallon tank, I'm really kicking myself for not having a decent sized spare tank. My only other tank is a small (under 3 gallons most likely), "GLOfish tank. For my neons I've dosed prazi and copper treatments in there. But they are the only fish I'd really feel comfortable keeping in there for a few days.

I've been seriously considering going and picking up another tank for a hospital/QT setup at the next dollar per gallon sale. I have an extra HOB that I run on it, rated for a 10 gallon tank, though I'd use it on up to 20 probably. And an ancient air pump/air stone I use on it as well while doing med doses.

I'm thinking I'd just buy an extra 10 gal tank, as I don't have room for anything better, but I could squeeze an extra tank in somewhere. Would it be necessary to have anything in the tank other then water and possibly gravel?

What is your current QT/hospital tank set up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 01:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like the comments where people just use a 5 gallon bucket. I'm used to seeing the sides of the fish, so I don't know if they scoop them out to inspect or just watch the tops.

I need to figure it out since I need to set up another 2 aquariums and the 10 is supposed to be a plant grow tank, but I bought the wrong light. Hmm.

Consider plastic.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 01:55 AM
Algae Grower

I have a 10 gallon bare bottom QT that I set up only when I need it with media from my canister on the main tank and a cheap submersible filter that came with the tank. I am very interested in what others do as well (keep it up and running, use gravel etc.??) .

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:34 PM
Algae Grower

I use a rectangular clear plastic (polycarbonate) container from a restaurant supply store. The volume is about 3 gallons. (Fine for all my fish which are small) It is easier to see into than a five gallon bucket and, because it is impact resistant plastic, I can just toss it in a closet when I'm not using it.

I keep mesh bags of gravel in my sump. When I need to get the quarantine tank going I toss in a sack of gravel from the sump and use "seasoned" water straight from the main tank.

Have a happy Friday and remember: 'tis talk like a pirate day. Yarrrrrrrrr!!!

-------------------------------------
The coolest fish I've ever owned were some fish sticks in my freezer.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
My treatment tanks are a 2.5 and 5g glass tank--both stored dry with their own dedicated equipment--filters, airlines/stones, nets, plastic plants for shelter---though if I have live trimmings from my other tanks at the time I'll often float those instead, then discard them at the end of treatment, a small ziplock bag of gravel etc.

Set up as needed and broken down and thoroughly disinfected after use, having separate dedicated equipment helps ensure against cross contamination.

QT is generally handled by my "junk" tank; it's ranged over the years from a 10g to a 20g and back but it's essentially a no to low-tech, fully cycled and running tank that houses surplus stock and plants--a waystation for anything moving in, out or between my tanks. For example: I've recently re-worked my 37g, so the junk tank is stuffed with anubia and java fern trimmings, cull cherry shrimp, excess assassin snails, a bit of sunset hygro tucked away in case I want to resurrect it in one of my tanks at a later date, MTS to feed the assassins, and my endler breeding colony--easily replaced should the worst happen as there are several local sources.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
My treatment tanks are a 2.5 and 5g glass tank--both stored dry with their own dedicated equipment--filters, airlines/stones, nets, plastic plants for shelter---though if I have live trimmings from my other tanks at the time I'll often float those instead, then discard them at the end of treatment, a small ziplock bag of gravel etc.

Set up as needed and broken down and thoroughly disinfected after use, having separate dedicated equipment helps ensure against cross contamination.

QT is generally handled by my "junk" tank; it's ranged over the years from a 10g to a 20g and back but it's essentially a no to low-tech, fully cycled and running tank that houses surplus stock and plants--a waystation for anything moving in, out or between my tanks. For example: I've recently re-worked my 37g, so the junk tank is stuffed with anubia and java fern trimmings, cull cherry shrimp, excess assassin snails, a bit of sunset hygro tucked away in case I want to resurrect it in one of my tanks at a later date, MTS to feed the assassins, and my endler breeding colony--easily replaced should the worst happen as there are several local sources.
My QT/hospital tank has water in it, but its shut off lol. But I always have my HOB on my 40 long stuffed with extra filter padding for the HOB I use. I just wonder if a bigger tank would be better.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode