Raining Inside the Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to PokeSephiroth Send a message via MSN to PokeSephiroth Send a message via Yahoo to PokeSephiroth Send a message via Skype™ to PokeSephiroth
Raining Inside the Aquarium

I did it before, back when I still had land hermit crabs... so I figured, I'd do it again for my 55 gallon tank! . . . . I figure that rainfall is another way to trigger spawning in some fish species, although, that's not why I did this... I just thought it would be fun to do. Heh. Works well if you also have a Current USA Satellite LED+ fixture on the storm setting!

Anyway, here's the video! I hope you enjoy!

Here are a couple Frequently Asked Questions that I'd like to address:
Q: How did you get the Thunder to match the timing of the Lightning?
A: I found that editing the Thunder to sync with the lights (post edit) was much easier, than trying to find a way to sync the thunder with the lights in real time, so that's how I accomplished that.

Q: Will you make a DIY tutorial on how to make one of these rain machines?
A: Yes! Although, I'd like to work a couple more things out to make it more practical/functional to use, while also looking more pleasing to the eyes.

Q: Are your filters off while you're using the rain machine?
A: Yes, although, I mainly just did that for recording the video. I really SHOULD have taken out the filter outlets and other equipment before I shot the video to make it look cleaner, but I was too lazy, and figured that since this isn't my last design, that I would make it totally legit, when I shoot it again, with a better design of the rain machine.

Q: You must have a lot of time on your hands, don't you?
A: Why yes. Yes I do.

Last edited by PokeSephiroth; 09-18-2014 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Changed Topic Title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thanks for sharing this. Looks really great. Would love to see how it's done when you get a chance. I doubt I can replicate it now, but definitely something for the future.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not to "rain" on your parade. (I know) But it is thought that spawning is induced from a change in barometric pressure. But I like your tank and that is a very cool feature.

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to PokeSephiroth Send a message via MSN to PokeSephiroth Send a message via Yahoo to PokeSephiroth Send a message via Skype™ to PokeSephiroth
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
Not to "rain" on your parade. (I know) But it is thought that spawning is induced from a change in barometric pressure. But I like your tank and that is a very cool feature.
I believe that is true! I s'pose by reducing the water level, the barometric pressure is reduced as well, and so on.
If anything, this is purely aesthetic. My main reason for doing this, was to utilize Current USA's Thunderstorm feature, as it looks rather silly when there's lightning, and no rain. LOL. (Although, granted, in some places, there are times where there's lightning and thunder, without a rain storm... I used to live in the Philippines during my college years and it would happen all the time, at night.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych View Post
Thanks for sharing this. Looks really great. Would love to see how it's done when you get a chance. I doubt I can replicate it now, but definitely something for the future.
It's actually pretty simple to make. I will definitely do a how-to video once I've gotten things figured out and simplified I'll post my progress in this thread, so peek back from time to time hehehe.

Last edited by PokeSephiroth; 09-18-2014 at 09:39 PM. Reason: added quote
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 11:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I do like the thought. Pretty neat setup for its very unique. However, I would assume ph would play a larger role than pressure. Rainwater is acidic. Acidic as in 5-6 range. Its already a tough task trying to duplicate mother nature as it is. But to incorporate true rainfall and all its characteristic is very very difficult. The appearance is great but it won't benefit the setup if true parameters don't match mother nature. Cardinals are fairly hard to breed in a home aquarium for they really need really acidic waters to trigger spawning.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Thats awesome

Brian D

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Posted a new video, and in it, I try to explain how it all works in this video... there are some improvements in this one, compared to the original one I made... and then I made even more improvements AFTER I shot this video. LOL... alas, I will shoot another video soon enough. But this explains how it works in a nutshell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VMXNGzrKjo

Last edited by PokeSephiroth; 09-19-2014 at 02:21 AM. Reason: text
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Awesome idea, and I think that I'm going to try to make one for a new Vivarium project I'm about to start!!!

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 11:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
I do like the thought. Pretty neat setup for its very unique. However, I would assume ph would play a larger role than pressure. Rainwater is acidic. Acidic as in 5-6 range. Its already a tough task trying to duplicate mother nature as it is. But to incorporate true rainfall and all its characteristic is very very difficult. The appearance is great but it won't benefit the setup if true parameters don't match mother nature. Cardinals are fairly hard to breed in a home aquarium for they really need really acidic waters to trigger spawning.
Think about it pH is not going to change all that much unless it is a terechal downpour into a small volume of water. Most river systems are dealing with a huge volume of water compared to the amount of rain entering into that system.

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Beautiful setup.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 12:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thats well cool!

| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABSí Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs

| Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
One day I'd like a large island paludarium with one of these rain setups.

|
|
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks good, I thought about this a couple weeks ago, just got a new tank and put in an LED controller with storm effects and thought the same thing, if there's lightening I need rain. I'm hoping to make something that will drip but also pouring rain. It would be cool to have it start dripping, then slowing pickup to pouring then back to dripping. I'm worried about the splashing and it making a mess.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 12:47 AM
Algae Grower

I could sit and watch that every night before bed. Very relaxing, and would make me sleep like a baby!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
very nice! you should post it to the current satellite forums if you haven't already

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode