Need feedback on rebuilding tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need feedback on rebuilding tank

This is a tricky (but fun!) hobby to get a hang of, which is why I need feedback on my next project. Firstly, I'm already having to sterilize my plants, b/c I didn't know enough to sterilize them before placing them in my new tank, and I ended up with snails. I used the diluted bleach method, since I couldn't find potassium permaganate anywhere - I submerged the plants in a half-filled 11 liter bucket with a splash of bleach for two minutes. I'd previously removed two snails from the tank, and I discovered two more in the bucket after I'd finished with the soak. I considered this a good sign, so I soaked the plants in another solution of water and dechlorinator for 35 mins, then used the diluted bleach solution again, this time for one minute. I'm currently letting the plants soak in water and dechlorinator for an hour. Having to do this has got me thinking about changing the substrate in my tank - from gravel to sand.

I've already purchased some playbox sand to use in the future when I finally set up my 10gal, but I've been researching methods to exchange substrate in an already-established tank. I'd like to keep some of the original gravel on top of the sand. I've read that this is an ideal method, so that the benificial bacteria from the old substrate can begin to colonize the tank, again. So, this is my planned course of action, but I'd like to hear from anyone who's ever switched substrates in an already-established tank. Any further tips??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 02:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Rinse the sand VERY well. Also, sand has issues with compaction that can cause gases to build up and lead to fish death. Google "aquarium sand compaction". There are many good articles there. If you have Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS) in your tank, they will aerate the substrate by stirring through it.

Which leads me to: the largest particles will always find their way to the bottom over time, leaving the small particles on top after a LONG time of them just looking mixed together. Whenever you plant, trim, clean, etc, you will help shift the substrate.

Advice I've read on here is to mix a handful of each together to see how you like the way it will eventually look.

I've changed substrates, and my advice is to take no shortcuts. Remove ALL of the substrate before adding new (unless you want it to mix). With water flow and all, they mix quickly, even when you thought the base level was 3 or more inches below your top level.

Blatheriing a bit now... Hope that helps!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, skoorbza, that did help. Thank you. A small update: all of my plants - two java ferns, a banana plant, and three vallisneria bulbs (or what I think is vallisneria) seem to be doing okay, yet the vallisneria leaves are becoming transparent. One is evening developing a few brown spots, so I fear I may lose them soon. Any tips on saving plants?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Kind of urgent

Soo... the vals (or crypts? still haven't quite figure out what they are. what types of plants produce long, thin bright green leaves with crazy, "nest"-like roots) seem to be melting. And the banana plant is turning a little yellowish. May have been the bleach (yet the java ferns are fine) or could've been the uprooting - dunno. Any advice??
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 03:32 AM
Planted Member

If they are crypts, they don't like to be moved. Each time I have moved mine, almost all the leaves melt, one by one, but new leaves quickly grow to replace them. (I don't know anything about vals.)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 05:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoorbza View Post
If they are crypts, they don't like to be moved. Each time I have moved mine, almost all the leaves melt, one by one, but new leaves quickly grow to replace them.
Yep, usually the case. Once my crypts were quite large, they seemed not to melt as much.

And my vals pretty much did the same thing.

If you could post a pic, we could possibly ID it.

210 g - Empty right now
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plant ID

Thank you for the offer, because I truly have little to no idea what these bulbs are, though I do love the stems and root systems; which is exactly why I want to see them saved.

Also, please forgive the blurriness. My camera isn't the greatest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S3010152.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	9571  

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bump

Anyone? I'm genuinely curious to know what these things are.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 01:34 AM
Planted Member

Out of my league. The leaves look crypt-like, but you say they are bulbs?

Dunno.

(bump)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 01:46 AM
Planted Member

They look a lot like the Crypt, Walkerii I saw on the AquariumPlants.com web site.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 02:31 AM
Planted Member

What about something in the Apontogen family?

photo from aqualandpetsplus
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you, for all of your replies. I'm a bit more certain that they may be crypts; which is great because now I know what I'm in for.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Algae Grower

I would say Apontogen also because you said it came from a bulb.
Crypts dont grow out of bulbs.
One more note your big chunks of rocks for substrate will be hard to grow any plants in. i may be wrong on how big those chunks are though they look pretty big in your picture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Join today!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I have to agree with Apontogen, they aren't Crypt, Walkerii which I have in one of my tanks. The leaf on the Walkerii starts as a longer thin stem. http://www.aquariumplants.com/Crypt_...bcr-123612.htm.

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
That also looks like a type of Aponogeton to me. Vals don't like to be uprooted and will do poorly for a period of time after they have been moved. If the root system is in good condition and you leave them alone though they will come back.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode