Mail ordering an aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mail ordering an aquarium

No one within driving distance has anything like what I want (basically a 60-P or clone). There is a place in Canada who will ship them but I cant imagine how on earth it would arrive intact, and if it does I'd never know if it was torqued or stressed and wonder if the glass or joints have been weakened.

I know people do get these sort of things shipped. What has been your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
I'm in the same boat. In the middle of rural tennessee with no pet stores nearby. I would also like to know how shipping tanks has worked out for others.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

shipping

Give it a try. Insure it. Insurance is cheap on shipping items. Let us know how it worked out if you decide to do it. I am thinking about ordering one in the future myself. It'll be a while though. Good luck.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Algae Grower

Price usually deters me from buying tanks that have to be shipped, especially glass.

Have you checked any classifieds for used aquariums?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I bought a 28 gallon JBJ nano cube with stand and had them both shipped. No problems. Maybe a little different than buying a bare tank because the JBJ kit was already well packaged. If you're buying a bare tank you have to rely on the seller to package it correctly.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
You have to think they get to the LFS somehow.

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 02:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)
I have purchased 2 seaclear acrylic tanks from fishtanksdirect and have had nothing but good results. Also purchased a small Mr. aqua tank from marinedepot. Its not that big of a deal really, if it arrives broken you get a replacement...not to mention the tanks have warranties.

3x75 gallons|2x55 gallons|2x50 gallons|3x40 gallons|1x29 gallon|1x10 gallon

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Got a truaqua cube delivered perfectly in a massive quantity of packing material. If the seller is reputable, I'd go for it (if they offer a warranty on shipping).
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 02:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've ordered 3 AquaTop tanks from TruAqua (8g,14g, & 8.7g). The first one was shattered by UPS and TruAqua shipped a replacement the same day. The others have arrived with no problems at all.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
You have to think they get to the LFS somehow.
But they get them in quantity on a pallet, by freight truck. Quick a bit different from a single unit being handled by the UPS or the Post Office system.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 02:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (101/100%)
Bought a Mr. Aqua 17gal a while ago on Marine Depot and it arrived perfectly. Shipping is really a pain but worth it since I couldn't find in local. I was even surprised on how excellent they packed it. If anything happens, I believe the seller will work something else for you.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Planted Member

I wouldn't worry about it to much. I work at an lfs, and I can assure you that nobody gives a rats ass when they pack those pallets. Glass is incredibly strong and will really only break from a sharp blow in the middle of a panel. Just pay the $5 for insurance (and peace of mind) and you will be alright.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Another way to look at it might be from the sellers point. If they are required to replace a lot of them, will they still be selling them to ship? Tells me they don't have a really big loss on shipping---if they are a worthwhile company. Don't go for the E-bay/Amazon knockoff seller, though.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 03:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I've had a Mr Aqua 48g and 12g shipped to me. Both arrived great, no issues. The 48g took long though since it had to shipped on a pallet and through some third party company. All in all though, no issues. They packed the tanks great. Both bought through Marinedepot.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
I ordered an aquarium from GLA and it arrived safe and sound. They packed it in a HUGE box with "fragile", "glass", and "this side up" plastered all over the outside. Inside the big box was tons of packing peanuts and another box. Inside of THAT box was even more packing peanuts and finally the aquarium. The aquarium itself was wrapped in a ton of plastic wrap and also structurally supported with thick cardboard on all four sides. Overall, it was pretty solid packaging. It also took a bit of effort to unbox everything because each box fit pretty snugly inside of the enclosing box.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode