Suitable stand for 5.5? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Suitable stand for 5.5?

Hey folks, I currently have a betta fish in a Fluval Spec 2, but since I got a new job (and apartment with more space!) I was thinking of upgrading his tank to a 5.5 since those are relatively cheap and easy to move.

My question is, where do I put the tank? I have an ikea beckvam kitchen cart which would be the perfect size, but I want to make sure it would work before I commit. What do you think? It seems pretty sturdy and sustained my weight alright when I tested it out.

Does anyone have experience with this stand? Would this work or is this a bad idea?

Thanks!

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/30240348/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 07:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Seems like a sturdy item. Also seems like a waste of a good kitchen work aria.
Your choice of course but as I read the title of the thread I was thinking "end table"
would work fo this.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeye--sniper View Post
Hey folks, I currently have a betta fish in a Fluval Spec 2, but since I got a new job (and apartment with more space!) I was thinking of upgrading his tank to a 5.5 since those are relatively cheap and easy to move.

My question is, where do I put the tank? I have an ikea beckvam kitchen cart which would be the perfect size, but I want to make sure it would work before I commit. What do you think? It seems pretty sturdy and sustained my weight alright when I tested it out.

Does anyone have experience with this stand? Would this work or is this a bad idea?

Thanks!

@ 5.5gal your looking at 50lbs max

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeye--sniper View Post

Thanks!

@ 5.5gal your looking at 50lbs max
Is 50 pounds a lot for this item or not?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 01:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm sure it will be fine considering the specs state it's solid wood. If you find it a bit flimsy, add a few extra screws and you are good to go.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Great, thanks for the help everyone!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Knockdown furniture what Ikea sells has those flimsy cam locks. My daughter bought an Ikea desk for her first apartment and it came with what felt like five pounds of those things. That table should do fine for a 5.5G, just keep in mind that it may "sway" a bit in time. So keep it up against a wall where it will have the least possibility of someone bumping into it. Honestly, I think it would make an awesome stand, but it may be just a bit shaky.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
Knockdown furniture what Ikea sells has those flimsy cam locks. My daughter bought an Ikea desk for her first apartment and it came with what felt like five pounds of those things. That table should do fine for a 5.5G, just keep in mind that it may "sway" a bit in time. So keep it up against a wall where it will have the least possibility of someone bumping into it. Honestly, I think it would make an awesome stand, but it may be just a bit shaky.
You can get a tube of loctite and glue the joints to strengthen the stand. They do get wobbly over time, the adhesive will prevent this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie321 View Post
You can get a tube of loctite and glue the joints to strengthen the stand. They do get wobbly over time, the adhesive will prevent this.
There ya go!

Never thought of that, but I guess that makes it...... "no longer knockdown" furniture, lol!

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode