Glosso, possible in mid tech no c02? Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Glosso, possible in mid tech no c02? Help

So I've had this tank running for a month, planted for 4 weeks.
The main issue I'm having is glosso not doing well. During the first week there was visible new shoots, since then not much has happened.
Old leaves grew some brown algae which snails enjoy, then they started to yellow and get brown holes and die (just the old leaves)
I dose dino pee (macro, micro) and dino spit (glut).
There is some clay and blood and bone underneath the river sand cap which is 3-4cm.
HC is doing much the same, slowly losing pieces.

Here are some pics. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
yes that is the shut down phase of hc, letting go floats to the top eventually in pieces I think only co2 w sav it, diy or cheaper pressurized etc. that fluval 20 is better than nothing and 20 bucks. the substrate you have isnt super enriched, I know you are dosing ferts but they want carbon, the glut isnt cutting it imo. need to go back and reread about your lights too, to eliminate them as a cause I always try to find threads that show that exact lighting growing a planted tank long term. helps to cross off variables.

after those two options, Id look into more specific nutrient dosing and try to carry a little more algae loading if necessary to keep that water column nice and fert loaded to give the plants the best chance they have. as of now I call starving based on pics.

small old reef tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

still running in 2018

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 02:07 AM
Planted Member

All I can say is, I had a bunch of glosso just recently that wasn't growing or rooting very well. I realized that I could boost my CO2 more, I did, and BAM the glosso is now threatening to take over the tank.

If you can afford it, CO2 is really a wonder-drug for your plants.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

another thing that really applies here, something I never considered all these years about low tech, is you dont just pick plants and get them to go low tech even if ten people on here are doing in their tanks. you'll see its typically dirted ones pulling it off by shifting nutrient reserves heavy to the substrate and out of the water column. thats enriched soil benefits using that type of enrichment. I dont want that much organics in my bed in the size tanks I run, so I use a different approach to nutrients and even though I was just sure it would work with no gas, it didnt lol. started to lose some plants, so the switch was made.

sometimes, depending on what we want for long term growth in our unique variable tanks, you have to go through a few diff types of plants to see one that works.

my own planted pico is still, no pumps, and runs hot at about 80 usually. thats a rare stress for a lot of plants we see as ideal, and its clear first go that dwarf hairgrass isn't suited for my setup even though that was the ideal carpet I had in mind during planning.

its now a marsilea minuta carpet, because thats what works. I think people give up on tanks a lot of times not knowing there is some type of plant that works for the type of tech you want, just not baby tears hc

look at its biomass reserves in challenging conditions, almost none. its a miniscule plant compared to glosso which is more dense and has more internal reserves to stay alive for a while in these conditions.

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

Last edited by brandon429; 09-18-2014 at 06:02 PM. Reason: sp
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Actually for low tech tanks in general, I find that dirt still offer the best chances, and it costs less than aquarium substrates. Perhaps carbon released by the organic decomposition has something to do with it. Many people think that using aquarium substrate is better because it costs more, but I find that this isn't always the case. If you're doing a non-dirted low tech, you can probably go for the easiest of plants such as swords, vals, dwarf sag, java ferns, anubias. With dirt and some dosing in the water column, carpets (DHG, glosso), colored stems (rotala wallichi/rotundifolia) have good success rates.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

agreed

non co2 w no dirt, you have a 8% chance of success. and all the cool posts on here with that are part of the 8%, I couldnt attain it so I started gassing but cheaply. at least do diy co2

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

To add to the statistics, I have a no CO2 dirt tank sand capped. I set up the tank in June and put Glossos without knowing anything about that plant. Actually, I did not know anything about dirt tanks other than having read Walstad book. I was too curious about the method. So far, very satisfied with the way the Glossos are growing.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies everyone!
I'll hang onto the glosso and HC as long as I can to see if they turn around, but they were both a gamble to work in my setup so I was just trying them.
What would you guys recommend for a foreground plant?
DIY c02 is an option, can't make up my mind yet though.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Try marsilea minuta I got some off here and love it!

small old reef tank:

still running in 2018

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode