Dosing correctly - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dosing correctly

Tank specs:

20 Gallon Tank
65 Watt Coralife 6700k compact light
Marineland 200 bio filter (up to 40 gallons)
Red Sea CO2 cannister w/ venturi
Flourite Substrate

Plants:

Red Rubin Sword
2 Bunches of Moneywort
2 Bunches of Cabomba
1 large bunch of anacharis
Amazon Sword
Ruffle Sword
Marble Vals
Dwarf Tennellus - currently dying

Currently, I'm dosing with liquid ferts: Flourish, Excel, Kent Pro plant/freshwater, Flourish Trace and then nitrogen, and potassium every other day. I also have root tabs.

I dose Flourish and The Kent supplements 2 times a week and then potassium, nitrogen, and trace 3 times a week.

I bought some dry ferts from Aquarium fertilizer.com, but thats why I bought a test kit for iron, and phosphate, and KH/GH... currently I have a GH of 14, and a KH of 4 - which I believe is good. High gh is good from what I have read. I change 30% of my water each week.
nitrates were at 20ppm and my nitrite and ammonia was at zero. Ph was at 7.6.
I tested for phosphates and tested a .1ppm, I believe I need .5 to 1ppm. I do have a little algae on the glass and some of the green leaves of the red rubin. Iron is at approx. .1ppm as well.

I inject CO2 with a red sea DIY kit. I just added a new batch, but I did not use wine yeast, because I could not find any. Anybody know where I can get some? I have dominicks, Jewel, Target, and walmart by me. I do not have a drop checker, but I do have a red sea plant lab kit, but I have heard these do not give the right results.

I have an african dwarf frog, and three smaller fish.

I do not know really where to start with the fertlizers... I bought KNO3, KS04, MgSO4, and CSM+B. This is what Alan said I should get since I am testing. He said possibly phosphate, but I decided not too since I have some fish, which he said I probably have enough phosphate. I will test to make sure. Should I add based on testing? I have read a lot about the EI method and other methods, but I am just not sure where I should really start. Hopefully I can get some direction. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 01:50 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well there a couple of versions, EI, PPS-Pro, then variations.
http://www.barrreport.com/co2-aquati...tines-one.html

So it is kinda up to you, EI uses large water changes weekly to reset the fert load, PPS is more of a just what the plants need type method w/o large water changes. Obivously EI is more of a proven dummy system to get you started. Personally everyone is going to make modifications to either method to fit there specific tank(plant and fish load, ect..)

Its prob best to read up on all these methods, then pick one and modify to fit your needs/tank. Like you could start w/ EI dosing, then if you dont want to do as many WC's, cut back a little on the ferts at a time, cut back on the WC amount,wait a couple weeks and note how the plants react, ect.. Then continue cutting back with ferts and WC amount.

Since you have some test kits this should be OK, but just know that not all test kits are accurate, it would be good to test with a known/calibrated source just to be sure.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 03:35 AM
Algae Grower

You seem to be pretty much on track. Patience is a virtue. This is the best link in the entire world for dosing:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/wa...-regimes_.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

55 Gallon

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

I think I need more CO2... one liter is not enough. My CO2 levels are not at what they should be.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode