Introduction - 55 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Introduction - 55 Gallon

Hello everyone! Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and thank everyone for their support here. These boards have been extremely helpful and I look forward to hanging around and learning more.

Here is a bit about our tank and how we got into the Freshwater business.

We currently have two 55 gallon tanks setup. The first one is our salt water tank. The second is our freshwater. The saltwater tank is a group project and both my boyfriend and I make the mutal decisions regarding it. It's a slow growing exspensive tank whereas the freshwater has always been the cheaper tank that really only I take care of. Most exspensive fish I've bought was about 4 dollars and most of the plants and things within came at 50% off or from the clearance rack. Some people may consider two 55 gallon tanks to be a bit of overkill but in reality we had the tank sitting there empty (man we need a garage!) - might as well put some fish in it.

When I was growing up the only fish I ever had were neons. I had thought they would live forever but in truth what was happening was everytime one or two would die, my Mom would replace them while I was at school. I have no idea how many fish she replaced over the years but something tells me it was quite a few. About 3 years ago a co-worker bought me a male betta and I was never comfortable with keeping him in a small tank (or betta bowl) so when the chance came up I transitioned him to a 10 gallon tank and did some research on friendly tank mates to add a bit more variety to the tank itself. I added 4 neons, some ghost shrimp, and an upside down catfish. Then someone gave us the 55 gallon we use now for the freshwater fish which we originally setup as the saltwater tank. It was used and worn and not the prettiest tank I had ever seen. We ended up getting a second tank about 6 months later from a pet store that was closing. The cherry stand, new tank, and canopy was about 100 dollars. We started the saltwater project over using the new tank and now had this extra tank lying around.

The first thing I did was transition the 10 gallon community into the 55 gallon tank. Added a few more fish here and there and decided about a month ago I wanted to plant the entire thing. I think planted tanks are beautiful and I am hoping that with the right setup I can eventually have the entire thing covered in plants. Right now it has a few and as they grow and hopefully flourish I will add more.

Livestock
  • 11 Neon Tetras
  • 2 Danios (I've lost 6 over the last year - I think the petstore stock was poor)
  • 3 upside down catfish
  • 2 Gouramis (I know they are a bit agressive but with the tank being as large as it is, they don't tend to bug one another.)
  • a bunch of ghost shrimp
I also have 2 chinese algae eaters. These guys were the first fish I bought on a whim without researching them before hand. The local fish store had always given me sound advice on the previous purchases that went right along with my research. I made a mistake in trusting the guy this time around because I found out that these guys grow large and get mean. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them but for now I am watching them closely.

Here are some photos - Hope you enjoy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 07:36 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
no pics of the SW? FW looks nice! Welcome to TPT!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Here is the most recent picture of the saltwater tank. The new lights are scheduled to arrive tomorrow so ignore the purple hue. Not much to it but we are taking it slow.

Early tank photo when the rock was new.

Some of our fish.

also have one betta

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Awesome tanks!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Hey! My betta looks like yours
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Algae Grower

hmm.. nice SW setup

im ex-reefer, your tank remind me this abb. FOWLR = Fish Only With Live Rocks (correct me if im wrong ), long time not open SW forum
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 05:11 AM
Algae Grower

Can you give a plant list please I didn't see one.

No Journal's yet just getting started.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantoon View Post
hmm.. nice SW setup

im ex-reefer, your tank remind me this abb. FOWLR = Fish Only With Live Rocks (correct me if im wrong ), long time not open SW forum
It looks like she has bit of frogspawn in the middle Both tanks look great

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Our saltwater tank is FOWLR (fish only with live rock) but has recently transitioned into an actual reef tank. We upgraded our lights to 4 VHO bulbs and are keeping most things minus clams and a few hard corals.

As for the freshwater tank.. I actually don't know what all plants I have in there.

I wasnt the best aquarist when I started and didnt write most of the details down but I think these are the plants that I have:
  • Moneywort
  • Dwarf Sagittaria
  • Big Swords in the background
  • Anacharis
  • Variegated Japanese Dwarf Rush
Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the big plant in the center of the tank. I've had it for ages.

Because we recently upgraded our saltwater lights, I now have a 2 bulb ballast that I am going to transition over to the freshwater tank. Are there any suggestions on which two NO (40 watt max) bulbs to put into it? and will that be enough light for most of the plants which require high light output?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode