need a fast answer please! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
need a fast answer please!

I'm using http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html as my guideline for my DIY c02 system. In it he mentions a gas separator. Can I use a http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...48&pcatid=4648 as a gas separator and a bubble counter? It looks exactly like the gas separator in the article except smaller and it counts bubbles.

Sorry everyone but im about the place an order so I kinda need an answer fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 03:56 PM
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
im pretty sure but could be wrong that the gas seperator is to prevent co2 liquid from getting in the tank, the diy link you have shows the seperator but never talks about it.
i dont have seperator or bubble counter just glass diffuser.

i dont think you can use that as a seperator
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
the fosters smith thing is designed to be filled with water. it cannot be used as a separator and a bubble counter at same time. a separator is just a bottle that if gunk/yeast goes up into the lines it will drip into the empty bottle. needs to be sealed just the same as your yeast/sugar bottle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Join today!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
having looked again it could be used for both. but the separator would have ot be half filled with liquid to se the bubbles being counted. Im sure if you ended up gunking it up it would look ugly but it may work

- Join today!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I disagree with the above responses. A gas seperator can be used as a bubble counter. Many, many people do this. The bubble counter would do this, but would be harder to clean the gunk out of. IF you do want to use a bubble counter, make sure to use bubble counter fluid, or mineral oil, and make sure it is fastened so it can't tip and let it into the tank. I use check valves before and after the bubble counter.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 05:54 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcvtys View Post
I'm using http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html as my guideline for my DIY c02 system. In it he mentions a gas separator. Can I use a http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...48&pcatid=4648 as a gas separator and a bubble counter? It looks exactly like the gas separator in the article except smaller and it counts bubbles.

Sorry everyone but im about the place an order so I kinda need an answer fast.
Your could but why pay 26.00 for something you can make your self for a couple bucks max?

Follow the instructions on this site but instead of one hole in the cap drill 2 then pull a Long piece of airline through long enough that it touches the bottom of a 2 liter bottle, and pull the second piece of airline tube through so that it leaves about 1 inch past the cap, fill two liter half way with water screw on the cap and Boom gas separator/bubble counter and for a fraction of the price.

http://diyyeastco2.blogspot.com/

thats the link!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Using a 2-liter for a bubble counter/gas seperator is overkill and will also take up more of your gas.

It will require your co2 to build up more pressure to even get it out of the tank.

If you want to DIY it, gatorade bottles work great, or any smaller bottle. I like gatorade as the lid is bigger and allows more room to drill.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 06:32 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
Using a 2-liter for a bubble counter/gas seperator is overkill and will also take up more of your gas.

It will require your co2 to build up more pressure to even get it out of the tank.

If you want to DIY it, gatorade bottles work great, or any smaller bottle. I like gatorade as the lid is bigger and allows more room to drill.
i run DIY with 2 liters no problems, but then again im running 4-2 liters of DIY co2 and 1-2 liter of water as a gas separator didn't have any problems building pressure.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode