Water changes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water changes

Can I add water conditioner to my tank after putting the water in instead of having litres of water sitting on my bedroom floor for hours, also can I use warm water for a temperature match?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshNeon93 View Post
Can I add water conditioner to my tank after putting the water in instead of having litres of water sitting on my bedroom floor for hours, also can I use warm water for a temperature match?
Better to add conditioner before water goes into the tank in my view.Warm water is fine.
Most water conditioners work fairly quickly but until they do,,the chlorine or chloramines are hard on fishes/inverts.
Maybe you could purchase a small pump and some hose that would allow you to store a five gallon bucket or larger container of pre treated water and make moving it to your tank easier?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry I meant litres as in litres of water in a tub not seperate, I think its about thirty. Oh right I guess I should carry on doing it the way I am, I wouldn't want to hurt them! Even if it was only for an hour haha, I might pour boiling water in the bucket to get it to temp just before it goes in as it takes too long to do with the little heater I use, Thanks!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Better to add conditioner before water goes into the tank in my view.Warm water is fine.
Most water conditioners work fairly quickly but until they do,,the chlorine or chloramines are hard on fishes/inverts.
Maybe you could purchase a small pump and some hose that would allow you to store a five gallon bucket or larger container of pre treated water and make moving it to your tank easier?
Words of wisdom.

While it may not seem like a necessary expense, "tools" that make things like water changes easier and more convenient are one of the best investments you can make. There are lots of options for a container, a Maxijet pump is surprisingly powerful, and vinyl hose won't break the bank. If you think of it, anything that makes maintenance easier is an awesome investment. You can pre-mix dechlorinator and warmed water and be ready for a water change in minutes.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Best investment I have made recently (I have a 75 gallon and water changes suck):

- 2 x 30 gallon plastic trash bins - $20 at HD
- Danner 500GPH - $60 online (you could probs get a cheaper pump too)
- 50' Garden hose - $10 at HD. I could not find any hose cheaper than garden hoses.
- Fittings to hook up garden hose to pump / sink faucet - < $10
- No more hauling sheetrock buckets around my apartment every week - priceless

Process:
- Fill up trash barrel with new water / dechlorinator using hose attached to sink. I just feel the water temp by hand to match the tank's temp as closely as I can.
- Empty 1/2 my tank into one of the trash barrels / siphon out dirty spots
- Pump clean water into tank using PVC attachment with foam at the end (this works great and won't disturb your substrate / whirlpool your plants)
- Pump dirty water in 2nd barrel out my window and into rain gutter using garden hose

Totally worth it. It used to take 6 sheetrock buckets walking back and forth from by bathroom (twice because I had to empty / refill) to do the same job. I have a little step up going into my living room so rolling things was not an option... I used the pump here too but oh my god the trash barrel / hose technique is so much better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Planted Member

I have added tapwater and dechlorinator simultaneously for years without ill effects.

I use this:
http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Aquarium-Water-Changer-Feet/dp/B000YAJKL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410891834&sr=8-1&keywords=aqueon+water+changer
And this:
http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-116043304-Prime-500ml/dp/B00025694O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410892088&sr=8-1&keywords=prime+water+conditioner
Pump the old water out. Add Prime. Pump the new water in. The entire process takes 20-30 minutes, if that.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaky Filter View Post
I have added tapwater and dechlorinator simultaneously for years without ill effects.

I use this:
Amazon.com : Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer - 25 Feet : Pet Supplies

And this:
Amazon.com : Seachem Prime 500ml : Aquarium Treatments : Pet Supplies

Pump the old water out. Add Prime. Pump the new water in. The entire process takes 20-30 minutes, if that.
+1 also do the same no issues at all this way.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The equipment to make life easy is always a good idea.
The question of when to add the conditioner is not a biggie at all. The chlorine in tap water is so low that it takes a fair amount of time or repeated exposure to do any harm. I think of it as more like a sunburn. It does work to harm delicate tissue like gills but then you expose your throat to it daily for your entire life in many cases.
Fish keeping is always a compromise. Too much chlorine and it kills your fish. Not enough in your drinking water and you may die so the few minutes difference in the timing is not the one I worry about?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Filling the tank with water, and adding the dechlor as you are filling is OK.
Waiting any length of time after you fill is not a good idea.

Adding it before is the safest route. If you are doing other treatments (perhaps filtering through peat moss, or other) that takes time to act, then add the dechlor then.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 06:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaky Filter View Post

I use this:
Amazon.com : Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer - 25 Feet : Pet Supplies

And this:
Amazon.com : Seachem Prime 500ml : Aquarium Treatments : Pet Supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Rodgers View Post
+1 also do the same no issues at all this way.
+2 and if 25' of hose isn't enough they sell 20' sections to couple into it. No buckets, no pumps, no hastle... Except if you have a cat then you have to watch the little fur ball to make sure he/she doesn't pull the hose out of the tank
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Algae Grower

My water change progression is as follows:

1) I did the bucket method only once on my 55.

Total PITA.

2) 30G storage bin, would pump from sink to bin, condition the water, siphon the tank water into my front yard, pump the bin water into the tank.

This was not too bad, it just took about an hour and required a fair amount of gear.

3) DIY Python using a garden hose and a water bed filler/drainer. Siphon tank water into sink, using a strainer just in case, then refill from sink to tank adding a cap of conditioner before the refill.

Takes about 30 minutes, only uses a 20' hose and the sink adapter. It will be a little trickier in the winter, I'll have to confirm the temp and adjust the sink a few times. It is so easy now to change the water I want a bigger tank.

55G High Tech, 3G High Tech, 3G Low Tech, 2.5G Low Tech, 5G Low Tech
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 03:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomon347 View Post
I'll have to confirm the temp and adjust the sink a few times.
I use a electronic temperature gun to check the temp at the tap, within a degree or two and its' good to go
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I just use my hand under the water to guesstimate.
So long as the water is warmer rather than cooler,I have never had issues.
I always add dechlorinator to the tank before the water goes in.
I do however ,keep a five gal bucket of top off water near the tanks and this water usually sets for three days before I need to top off and I seldom treat this water with anything for the chlorine is dissipated by the time I need it .
What little ammonia is still left from the chloramines does not have any negative effect on fishes/shrimps but the tanks are large and I am only adding a gallon or two for top offs.
If the volume of water was small,I would treat the top off water as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode