20 H Pics and a Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Cam

PTrader: (0/0%)
20 H Pics and a Question

Hey Everyone,
This is my first planted set up. The tank has been running about two weeks and the plants have been in for about a week. I use excell daily and have used flourish after both water changes. I am getting OK growth, I would assume, I don't have any experience to base this on.

Some of my stem plants, well just the Bacopa, parts are turning brown and look like them may start to turn transparent. However, the other part of the same plant is a vibrant green. I imagine something is missing, I am just not sure what. The Camboba is doing well and the nana is holding steady.
Other then looking into the proper spelling of plant names, anyone have any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	160.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	9520  

Name:	157.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	9521  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hello welcome, What is your lighting in the tank? If the top of the bacopa is still really green and the bottom turning brown you may not have enough light reaching the bottom parts of the plant. This can cause the leaves to fall off and turn brown or transparent. So post your lighting specs if you could please and the bulb type.

If this is the problem a couple of solutions are increasing the lighting or thinning out the plants around the ones that are dying but first we need to know your lighting!

btw i like your setup simple yet still planty!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Cam

Thanks markopolo
I have two 21 watt t-5 bulbs. ONe is 10K and the other is the fresh water bulb. I know the fresh water bulb is supposed to have a good K rating for plants but it does seem a little on the dim side. Would I be better off getting another 10K?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I love your freakin' driftwood!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Wow, your DW is really interesting looking. I really like it! It will look really nice once all the stems grow in really tall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
instead of another 10K mix it up a bit and get a 6700K.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hmm well just over 2 wpg is ok i think for bacopa but it depends on the species, so you might have a high light one. However, your cabomba is doing fine so i think the lighting in the tank as a whole is fine. The next issue would be fertilization. There could be something missing in your dosing since you are only dosing excel and flourish.

check out this link and see if you have any of these deficiencies besides the browning and transparency. Most of the time deficiencies will follow this chart from chuck

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm

edit usually only the top 3 nutrients there appear the others from my experience really dont as long as your are dosing flourish comprehensive

or maybe your plants are just adjusted to life in the new tank. A lot of times old growth will not grow or just die off when the plants get put into a new environment. Thats really all i have buddy.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Cam

Ooooook - some updates

The new: Started dosing flourish trace hoping to help with sickly looking plants. Also added a skimmer to deal with the pond scum issue and it is working great. Replaced the bacopa with val nana.

The same: Sickly looking plants. Val nana is so so, just a little die off

The weird: My drift wood is shedding like a golden retriever in august. Seriously, it looks like clumps of hair is coming off it. Its definitly the wood as opposed to being some kind of algae. Very, very, very annoying. Interestingly enough, this wood was in another tank for almost two years with no shedding.

so basically I am using excell, flourish and trace with not the best results.

Anyone have any ideas to boost plant health/growth and quick the wood from disintegrating?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	234.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	9909  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode