The Plant Trimming Blues - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
The Plant Trimming Blues

I'm off work today and find myself trimming my fast growing weeds for the second time in the last week which made me wonder. Do any of you ever tire of needing to prune so much and try for a tank that maintains the same scape for more than 3 days? I don't mean low tech but just something a bit slower that you're not into twice a week. It has me contemplating something with a bit less maintenance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:01 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I clean my tank once a week, on the weekend. i trim my jungle val then~.. its usually laying on the top. It grows fast.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I hate trimming. If the plant needs to be trimmed more than once a week, bye-bye. Also, because of the tank size, I can only reach certain areas of the tank (most LOL) when I do a water change, so that plays a part too. It seems that my dwarf sag needs to be thinned out/replanted every couple months, and that has me thinking PITA. Only good thing that comes from that is that I can give some away.

210 g - Empty right now

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
One easy solution is to switch your fast growing stem plants with slower growing rosette plants. Crypts, Swords, Ferns and Mosses are much lower maintenance. Of course there are slower growing stem plants too.

Another solution is to reduce your light levels. That will reduce the biomass production, and help your pocket and the environment too. With less than 2W/gal you can still grow all but the most demanding plants.

A third idea would be to get a larger tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I try to maintain a tank that primarily my fish (and shrimps, plants, bacteria, nasty little worm-things etc.) find pleasant and agreeable. They don't care if some hairgrass is a little too long or if a sword plant has a brown leaf. In short: I don't give a #[email protected]% about perfect trimming.

I realize, though, that this is not everyone's taste and that some plants grow just too happily. I guess some plants are not suitable for most aquaria, no matter how beautiful they are. Some are too demanding, some grow too fast/large. I mean I wouldn't try keeping a tuna in my 55g reef tank either.

Pimp Club Member #313

Last edited by Aquarist_Fist; 08-28-2008 at 12:54 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
One easy solution is to switch your fast growing stem plants with slower growing rosette plants. Crypts, Swords, Ferns and Mosses are much lower maintenance. Of course there are slower growing stem plants too.

Another solution is to reduce your light levels. That will reduce the biomass production, and help your pocket and the environment too. With less than 2W/gal you can still grow all but the most demanding plants.

A third idea would be to get a larger tank.
You've read my mind. I've been thinking about replacing most of the stems with swords and crypts. I already have 3 fairly large ferns growing ( pic of them in link below ). As far as lighting I using 108 watts of T5HO over a 75 and I'd not think growth would be as fast but it is.

Can you put NO bulbs in a HO fixture?

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...75-gallon.html
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist_Fist View Post
I try to maintain a tank that primarily my fish (and shrimps, plants, bacteria, nasty little worm-things etc.) find pleasant and agreeable. They don't care if some hairgrass is a little too long or if a sword plant has a brown leaf. In short: I don't give a #[email protected]% about perfect trimming.
Trust me my trimming isn't perfect
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
That's a beautiful tank. Be glad and enjoy your stellatas. And two HO bulbs over that 75gal isn't excessive at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
Can you put NO bulbs in a HO fixture?
You can, but most ballasts will overdrive them to HO levels anyway.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 12:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
right now over my 110 im running only 145 watts or so (two broken bulbs). IT is actually refreshing to have had cobomba/sunset hygro that i havent had to trim in 3 weeks. however my brazilian pennywort still grows like mad and my e. tennelus is sending out runners left and right.
maybe try jsut running bulbls for less time or running less bulbs. see if you still get a nice looking tank with less maintenence.

- Join today!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Less light= less growth.

If you really hate trimming, then consider non CO2, or a middle ground, Excel dosing.

Plant choice is always wise, you can mix a few fast growers with hardscape materials, or go all slower growers or a mix there as well.

I like pruning and gardening.
But you have to keep up on it and be good about whacking the stems back.

There are few methods, topping or cutting the old stem off the bottom.
Each has its merits depending on the plant species.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode