40g long spot reseal? Should I be concerned? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
40g long spot reseal? Should I be concerned?

I just got a 40g long tank that was given to me by a friend. It has the slowest leak at one of the top corners under the trim. I can fill it half way up the trim and it wont leak but when I fill it to the very top of the trim, I will get a small drip leak. (1 drop per 2-3 seconds) Should I be concerned?

Obviously I'm not going to fill it to where the water will over flow the second I stick a finger in there but am I waiting for a disaster to happen? I'm concerned that the leak will be the weakest link even though I can fill it to where it doesn't leak.

It's been set up for over 12 hrs on an uneven surface and as you can see, the water still hasn't dropped below the trim.

What are my options?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-16 06.38.46.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	370929  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 02:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Drain it down and spot seal it with GE 100% silicone. I bought a brand new marineland tank and it was missing the top 2" of silicone, completely void. I had already scaped and filled it so return was a last resort.. i drained it down, prepped the area with an alcohol wipe and injected the silicone into the seam with a syringe. Let it cure for 2 days and it's been months.. no issues..
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I wouldn't worry about a rim leak like that. There's a silicone bead in the recess of the trim where the glass slides into. Every so often, one will have a small void and if you keep your water level rimmed out, you'll see a drip. Just back the water level off 1/2" and make sure the drip stops.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Came home to find the leak had stopped and the water level is still above the trim line. If I fill it halfway up the trim like I normally do, the tank should be ok. I'm still going to set it up in my garage and let it sit for a week just to make sure

Thanks guys.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Several of my tanks (including my 40 gallon breeder) leak like that. I sometimes wonder if the water is wicked up into that spot. Actually, I think it is the ripples from the filter or power head. I also have a very old 20 gallon and a 20 long that sort of ooze a bit of water when they are too full. Also an Eclipse 3. No surprise there. The rim comes off by hand, no attachment at all.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think it has to do with the way they package them, I've bought some new tanks and the cardboard was crammed into the upper corners, while removing some silicone came with it. They must pack them while the silicone is still wet..
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
Just reseal it and make sure its completely dry before filling again

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Several of my tanks (including my 40 gallon breeder) leak like that. I sometimes wonder if the water is wicked up into that spot. Actually, I think it is the ripples from the filter or power head. I also have a very old 20 gallon and a 20 long that sort of ooze a bit of water when they are too full. Also an Eclipse 3. No surprise there. The rim comes off by hand, no attachment at all.
Interesting, a few others elsewhere have mentioned that their tanks leak if filled to the brim too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkRasbora View Post
Just reseal it and make sure its completely dry before filling again
I would love to have it resealed just to be on the safe side but with my luck, it would look like a total mess and leak like crazy. I've read that you would have to reseal the whole tank no matter how small the leak is. I wouldn't trust my inexperience with this large a tank.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 01:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'd reseal it as well. A small leak can possibly turn into a big one. I'd take it as a warning. On an uneven surface, it adds unwanted stress to the silicone as the glass twist. Its a weak spot that will only get weaker over time. The greatest pressure in a tank is at the bottom so its not as bad being up high. However, the intent for a tank is to contain water 100% not 98-99%. Don't let a tank leak dictate your water level. Fix it, get a piece of mind and fill to your desired level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
Interesting, a few others elsewhere have mentioned that their tanks leak if filled to the brim too.

I would love to have it resealed just to be on the safe side but with my luck, it would look like a total mess and leak like crazy. I've read that you would have to reseal the whole tank no matter how small the leak is. I wouldn't trust my inexperience with this large a tank.
You can get away with resealing just the effected area. Just take your time and get rid of all the old silicone in the area and extend about an 1" or so by removing some of the non effected horizontal seams. Fresh silicone on old silicone will not adhere properly. Anybody can get a quality seam job when using masking tape. Masking tape is the key to a good seal job. Its tedious and it adds to the task, but it is definitely worth it. The larger the tank the longer the job and vice versa. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to pull it off. The first time I did it, I sealed it with not leaks but I rushed it and some of the seams didn't satisfy me. I pulled the tape too late as it was already setting. Totally my fault though. I redid it for a second time and got it perfect. Just take your time and it will come out as you wish.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by flight50; 09-18-2014 at 01:41 AM. Reason: -
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I just checked on the tank and noticed that it only leaks when the waterline is touching the trim. I need to think about what I want to do with the tank now.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

24hr leak test and counting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-17 18.29.15.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	371377  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode